CP4 Failure... WTH

classic72

May 22, 2019
Do the FASS or Airdog II's remove that problem and assist the CP4? I wish I could get a typical fuel pump... when truck stalled and this happened... trying to work on the truck for the first time (former 6.4 powerstroke owner) and saw I had to hand prime the filter I couldn't believe it. Try doing that on the side of the road with a larger tires and no ladder.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
A lift pump will help the longevity of a cp4. Getting rid of it altogether is ideal even if it has a lift pump the chance is still there. If they warranty it I would let them fix it then decide if you want to do a cp3 conversion and the other items that get left off for reliability..

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Do the FASS or Airdog II's remove that problem and assist the CP4? I wish I could get a typical fuel pump... when truck stalled and this happened... trying to work on the truck for the first time (former 6.4 powerstroke owner) and saw I had to hand prime the filter I couldn't believe it. Try doing that on the side of the road with a larger tires and no ladder.
You could stand on the tire and reach it easily. I stand on my tires to wash the windshied even, makes it easy to reach the middle part of the truck when needed.

I agree with AZlml that a lift pump won't guarantee the CP4 survives. It does make bleeding the fuel system easier, but the only time you should ever have to pump the primer is after changing fuel filters (10k miles) or if you run it out of fuel. A lift pump certainly won't hurt the CP4, and you can get a bit more power out of them with some positive inlet pressure. And longer fuel filter life.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin

As others have said, they will help but are not a remedy/cure for CP4 failure.

classic72

May 22, 2019
Just wanted to update this thread:

Truck is still at the dealer. I was transferred over to the GM helpline and was initially denied claim in full at just over 3k miles out of warranty. A senior advisor closed the case without even calling me which baffled even the dealer.

I called them back, reopened the case and sent a letter to the GM CEO and upper Execs of GM. Believe it or not, CEO's assistant contacted me the next day after reading my letter about these faulty CP4's. They are doing an investigation on them and moved my case into the department that investigates recalls and major safety violation issues (I lost all power to my truck, steering brakes, etc. -- glad I wasn't pulling my 20k pound trailer at highway speeds).

Right now GM has requested fuel samples and that is being tested. While I definitely do feel like GM is doing all they can to find some way to deny the overall major problem of the CP4 and my claim, I still appreciate the length they are going to and how quickly they escalated things. We will see what they say considering I always go to busy diesel stations and major brands like shell.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Bad fuel is what kills them, GM knows this, it's just a cop out, they won't do crapp. Funny they acted like they didn't know about cp4 failures...:rofl:

classic72

May 22, 2019
Just got word from GM after fuel samples from the exploded CP4 -- they are covering the repair 100% and putting me in a loaner. Awesome customer service and a great company.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Just got word from GM after fuel samples from the exploded CP4 -- they are covering the repair 100% and putting me in a loaner. Awesome customer service and a great company.
Wow persistence paid off for you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk