LMM: CP3 Knocking HELP!

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Well here's an update. Unhook top pump take belt off noise goes away . install belt back on hook back up knock comes back...unhook Lift pump noise goes away. Idles fine for more than 30 seconds. Reflash ecm to previous stock injector file start truck no noise. Reinstall 100 over tune start truck immediately says reduced power upon key turn starts up pump knocks u hook lift pump truck acts as if it's going to die....tech 2 go command rail nothing happens....clear dtc go command rail 13k is all you can get. At idle rail won't meet desired. Rail plug is tight as a dickens in there with an impact . at this point I'm blaming the controller. I rewired the leads for it on the battery just to say I did. Truck doesn't want to run right acting like it wants to stall and buck with the lift pump on and working now. Reduced engine power every key on. Drives ok otherwise. What else could it be besides this Damn controller ??

My thoughts;
First, I'd load the proper injector calibrations into the ecm.

Second, I'd remove the belt and remove the controller, hooking up the factory cp3 harness to the valley pump and test. With the lift pump on and the 100% inj tune. Then do the same test with the stock injector tune. Which ever tune works, then connect the controller and cp3 and see if there problem is still there.

Lift pump pressure at or below 15psi should not cause an issue on a LBZ/LMM. I run 40psi on my LBZ race truck and I ran 15psi on my street truck for years.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I just don't understand what difference the 100% overs would make at an idle with the pump????
Unless pulse widths on 100% overs will not go low enough to idle and fuel return at the injectors is needed. Can any of the tuners out there explain how the pump would be affected here???

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I know your not feeding one pump but I had to turn my lift pump down when first installed truck ran fine but loud knock while driving and tons of injector rattle turned pump down to about 7 psi and everything's happy before I turned it down the truck blew a cloud of white smoke once only thing I can think is the extra pressure held something open??

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
So jus5 for off the phone with Dan Grant at PPe. By far one of the most friendly ppe people I've spoken with...and I think he may made a good point. Either I could have the lines backwards in pump or on filter housing as I did have those off. Can't wait to go home and check now ! Rob. How does one get the proper flow rates ? Exergy 100s I have the paper as well

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I just don't understand what difference the 100% overs would make at an idle with the pump????
Unless pulse widths on 100% overs will not go low enough to idle and fuel return at the injectors is needed. Can any of the tuners out there explain how the pump would be affected here???

Usually tuning for big injectors has the rail pressure turned up to help with idle atomization. The pressure difference in the tuning between stock injectors and big injectors is what I recommend testing.

I'd load the stock injector calibrations back in. Try using the V2 and read injector calibrations from the glow plug module and then load those.

Do this: Take the V2 and click F2>F2>F1>F2 and do the same with the ecm cals.

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Ok I will do that Rob, yesterday we took inj1 info from ecm and copied it into all ecm and gpcm cells so will that mean the the gpcm numbers are going to be wrong at this point seeing as I calibrated them that way yesterday?

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I've had a dozen different injectors in my truck and never changed the calibration

Well looking at your HP, ETs and MPH it is tuff to argue. On the other hand your experience is kind of a moot point as it is totally atypical you sir should play the lottery as you are truly the luckiest man on earth:D

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Harbin just needs to trade his 60s for my 100s :) . ROB, per my earlier post. If i have indeed corrupted the GPCM flow rates and ECM by putting injector 1 in all 8 would i be able to use someone elses flow rates from their stock setup? say Kyles info off his for instance?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Could you load your previous tune and see the flow rates of injectors 1-8 and then write them down and modify your tune you just copied #1 flow rate all the way through the set to what it was on the previous tune?

I hope that made sense how I wrote it out

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
note to self you must put the fuel lines back the correct way on the filter housing:woott:

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
At least I learned something from it . and I appreciate everyone's help and insight