Help: Coolent Leak

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Location of coolant is hard to use for figuring out what's leaking....the fan moves enough sir down there to blow coolant everywhere. Water pump is a safe bet since 100k seems normal for them. They can be replaced in a couple hours by someone who has never done one. 2 things you will want to have, a friend to help lockup the fly wheel while you pull the balancer bolt, and a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a 36mm socket to break it loose.

1/2" isn't enough, I broke 4 of those trying to get it off as well as knocking myself out.

There's a couple threads on how to do it on here if you need help.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
It could als be the coolant hoses going to an from the turbo. seen those get old and brittle and leak. they are loacated right close to the compressor housing on the turbo. never seen a water pump go bad and have coolant end up on the pass side.

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
Catman, yea thts why I'm kinda ruling the water pump out ima get in there and figure some stuff out ill check the back of the turbo and stuff you guys said thanks for the input ill post as soon as I figure anything out

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
As others said check the coolant lines feeding the turbo they can crack and leak. Also on the back of the pass side heads there's 2 freeze plugs look there also see these in pic below and then the pic below there's a plate on the rear adapter that is known for the gasket to leak. Replace this gasket and all is will if you find it from there.

LBZTakeout074-1.jpg

gatorstan

Nov 21, 2012
I also have a leak and it seems to coming from coolant pipe on the drivers side the diagram shows that it bolts to the water pump with an o ring toward back of block any help would be great just finished with heater and intake hose and quick disconnect fitting on firewall

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I also have a leak and it seems to coming from coolant pipe on the drivers side the diagram shows that it bolts to the water pump with an o ring toward back of block any help would be great just finished with heater and intake hose and quick disconnect fitting on firewall

This would be your waterpump if theres coolant on the black pipe that bolts to the water pump and goes to the oil cooler.