Help: Coolent Leak

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
Need some info, I noticed a small spot a few weeks back of coolent and now its growing more and more, Any ideas on what it could be, I was thinking water pump, Lb7 168xxx miles

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
My water pump leaked slow thenn just went out completely. I guess its quite a job a time cosuming job so I paid to have it done. $610 they got me on the part tho..charged me $150

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I was able to do the water pump in a day myself for the first time. Just make sure you get all the seals and gaskets before you start. The one I got only had 1 seal. But it works now and no leaks. It's actually pretty easy. There is a write up of it here somewhere. Helped me a lot.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Johnny Walker: Coolant leaks are often signs of a failing water pump. Not always. I just got done fixing a pesky coolant leak on my LB7. In the picture below you will see a 3" rubber hose with two clamps on each end. I originally thought the old, scarred knicked hose to be the source of my leak as it had coolant on it. Since I had the truck apart and that little hose was in bad shape, I replaced it and the clamps anyways. Come to find out the REAL source of the leak was a bad O ring on the pipe (right side of pic) that connects the bottom of the thermostat housing to the top of the water pump. It was dripping down from that pipe onto the little hose and at times the fan would throw bits of coolant spray around in the engine compartment. Getting that pipe back in without tearing the new O ring is tricky and you can use some bearing grease to lube the ring. Hope this helps, it may or may not be your problem just another thing to check for:thumb:
899BC1F6-224F-4097-808D-0B74606AE319-3421-0000069881973728.jpg

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
Check the lower radiator hose-- if it shows signs of coolant stains -- it is most likely a water pump problem. Common for them to go out over 100k.

MicksDuramax

Nov 13, 2012
PC,FL
Have the system pressure tested. That will find the leak and save time. I just replaced my pump, 3 hours and $125 for parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
Johnny Walker: Coolant leaks are often signs of a failing water pump. Not always. I just got done fixing a pesky coolant leak on my LB7. In the picture below you will see a 3" rubber hose with two clamps on each end. I originally thought the old, scarred knicked hose to be the source of my leak as it had coolant on it. Since I had the truck apart and that little hose was in bad shape, I replaced it and the clamps anyways. Come to find out the REAL source of the leak was a bad O ring on the pipe (right side of pic) that connects the bottom of the thermostat housing to the top of the water pump. It was dripping down from that pipe onto the little hose and at times the fan would throw bits of coolant spray around in the engine compartment. Getting that pipe back in without tearing the new O ring is tricky and you can use some bearing grease to lube the ring. Hope this helps, it may or may not be your problem just another thing to check for:thumb:
899BC1F6-224F-4097-808D-0B74606AE319-3421-0000069881973728.jpg

It is not always necessary to remove that pipe. I didn't (so I wouldn't have to fight with it) and I have yet to have any problems. Also save me some time on the repair as well. But that might not always be the case. Go into it expecting to remove it, but try to do it without at first.

MicksDuramax

Nov 13, 2012
PC,FL
We're could I have the system tested at? My buddy ussually helps me with all my work since he has a shop think he would have a system test

I had mine tested at a service center (Grease Pro). They normally charge $20 but didn't charge me cause he thought I would be back for them to do the repairs.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
If it is the waterpump the Lisle duramax flywheel lock too and a 36mm 12 point socket are needed to remved and intall/torque the damper bolt. the lock tool makes life alot easer.

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
How do u post pictures in the thread, the coolent is on these lines behind the skid plate if I learn how to post the pics it will make it easier

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 32

MicksDuramax

Nov 13, 2012
PC,FL
See video on YouTube "How to change a Duramax 6.6 Water Pump" & "How to cut time in half Water Pump on a Chevy Duramax". This saved me a ton of time. The shop wanted to charge $875 and would take 8 to 9 hours.

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
Starting to think its not the water pump because of the location of the leak its passenger side right before the trans pan, can't really get up in there right this second to see if Thts the source buts it de pas side back a little further

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
It looks like it's running down the back of the engine & dripping off. Am I right?

If it's dripping off the back of the engine, there are some coolant hoses up on the top of the engine that you should check for leaks. I'd also take a look at the block heater(can't remember off-hand which side of the engine it's on though).

Is your truck CA emissions or Federal?