Converter kicking out.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Hey my converter unlocks at wot at or around 100mph. It seems to only do it in t/h mode and it also seems to do it more often if the road.....er track :D is rougher. It's not throwing any codes either. Any ideas what it could be? Shifts fine the rest of the time. It was fully built by custom auto. Thanks.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Is the tcm still commanding tcc duty cycle when it happens?
If so I would say you are loosing apply pressure to the clutch which would be odd, or the clutch is slipping.

If the Tcm is releasing the tcc, than I would log all the speed sensors as well as tfpsw and range switch logic and report back.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I don't know unfortunately. It's a billet triple disk. If I had to guess, it would be ppe, and it was a single charger, so whatever would match up with that. Custom uses bits and pieces to make up their own kit. I can't get ahold of Custom... Don't know if they are going out of business or what, but they never answer the phone. A guy is buying this truck from me and he isn't too worried about it, but i'd like to have it right for him if possible.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
When it doesn't unlock, it pulls really hard, so I doubt the clutches are slipping unless there is a intermittent valve body problem... but then you would expect a code. ???

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
It's the converter.. I watched it unlock on my insight. Plus, I held on long enough that it would have limped.

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
Would custom auto be on my way back to spokane jacob? Wouldnt it be throwing a bunch of codes if the converter was smoked or the c3s?

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
is it the converter or the c3s slipping mine does something similar and I know its the c3s on mine

I may need you to come run your scan tool to see whats going on Jake. I go in for surgery again on Wednesday so I'm getting down to the wire on this... Edge has data logging on the insight now, but it's pretty limited.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think he ment simple problem

No, I meant dimple problem. Input speed sensor counts dimples on the converter. If the magnet is weak on the sensor it can do weird stuff. The magnets are directional, hence they have to be clocked in the proper position. A dimple that is shorter, or a converter that is not exactly the proper dimension in reference to the speed sensor, can cause false readings and kick the converter out. Try a 4L80E speed sensor as it's not directional and see what happens.

A. Stock Lbz

Aug 13, 2013
spokane wa
Wow didnt know that. Lol thought it was a spelling error. Thanks for the info im buying the truck from him so something simple would help both of us out