Confused on Cruise Control issue

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Well when I bought my LLY the cruise didn't work on the way home. So figured it was a fuse.

Few days later checked it....was good.

So figured it was the switch....Ordered one and just put it in....Still no worky.

So started checking fuses under hood.....I didn't pull em all as I still had the baby in the truck.....didn't find any bad.

Does anyone know if the cruise is tied to anything else? I figure the brake switch, but don't really don't wanna keep throwing parts at it.

Also you guys with LLYs is there a symbol on the dash when the switch is in on the "ON" position, not necessary with cruise set?

John

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
My LLY did a similiar thing but it would come on and then kick off after a few seconds and then i would have to manually turn it back on it was a pain. I don't think there is any on symbols

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Mine dont work at all. Wasn't sure on the symbol. Think some of the newer ones show up. My 01 says cruise, but only once activated.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Yeah some of the newer vehicles tell you when it is turned on even if its not activated. To be honest i can't remember if my 07 does or not?

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
I had some cruise control issues that seemed to have gone away after I replaced my NSBU. I'm not sure that an NSBU could be the cause of the cruise control not working, but it might not hurt to play with it.

And the symbol for cruise control on (I'm assuming a late LB7 and early LLY use the same gauge cluster) will be a little green circle over on the left side of your gauges just to the left if your high beam indicator.

Edit: the indicator light will not illuminate until you actually set the cruise.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I had some cruise control issues that seemed to have gone away after I replaced my NSBU. I'm not sure that an NSBU could be the cause of the cruise control not working, but it might not hurt to play with it.

And the symbol for cruise control on (I'm assuming a late LB7 and early LLY use the same gauge cluster) will be a little green circle over on the left side of your gauges just to the left if your high beam indicator.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Well my gear indicator works fine, it may be the NSBU, when mine went on my LB7, it took cruise with it. But can't remember if it killed the light at the same

Did you try adjusting the brake switch?

Was unaware it could be adjusted?

Any info on that....alldata isn't showing anything.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Not sure if it is adjustable, was just throwing out there. On my 92 all I had to do was adjust the plastic nuts and move the switch so it didn't disable cruise. My back is too sore to bend down and look at mine :eek:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
J, did you check ALL the fuses with a test light? You would be surprised what is miss labeled on your little schematic on the fuse block and the interior one. You should have a clock looking indicator with a line through one part come one when cruise has been activated

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I haven't had mine for about 70,000 miles either. I figured it was due to my speedo not working. They quit about the same time. I use a gps for speed. It's way more accurate anyways

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
yeah it has no codes....first thing I did. I'll try and check it with a test light and see. I get no emblem at all.

I hate to do it, but I may run by the dealer and see if they can test the cruise module and go from there.

Damn thing is like 200 bucks though.

My brake lights work fine, so thinking its either the module or maybe the NSBU. But my indicator works fine too...so IDK.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
GM wanted 130 bucks to diagnose it......bastards...

So ordered a NSBU instead to see if that works. Only other thing left besides that is the cruise control module. Which is 200 bucks and requires programming. Wish I had a tech 2 now.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The cruise control 'module' is the ECM. Who told you it has a separate module @ $200? How much was the NSBU switch compared to the dealer diag fee? Even though your brake lights still work the brake switch still can be faulty.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
The cruise control 'module' is the ECM. Who told you it has a separate module @ $200? How much was the NSBU switch compared to the dealer diag fee? Even though your brake lights still work the brake switch still can be faulty.

Based off of Alldata it has one...guess I need to look at it. it shows it under the hood on the back of the firewall, by the hydro booster it seems. Maybe something different for the 3500?:confused: might be a gaser thing that was thrown onto the diesel in alldata by accident?

NSBU cost 56 bucks shipped as opposed to the 150 bucks. And a brake switch is about 20 bucks...

Attachments

• 119079379.gif
    119079379.gif
    33.5 KB · Views: 28