LB7: Completely gelled up!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Been having days around 0 and slightly negative but I didn't gel until we hit -24.

Its the bio blend they put in the fuel. My state is 20% iirc. Shits nasty, filters looked way worse then the typical gelled filter I've seen in the past.

I'm wondering if all these states that never see below 0 just don't have the additives needed to stop antigelling. Where I live they don't and it was almost impossible to find 911 anywhere in the city and it was like 3x the price.

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
They do have heating elements in the filter head factory, but I don't think they heat up enough to help with our problems. Ive debated on buying or building a little 12v fuel line heater to installed before my lift pump as it always clogs up there first.

I asked around about that and several people told me they did not have heating elements.... just goes to show... lol.
I will say I've never been stranded by this truck but I've definitely lost rail pressure and had to limp it home. It never used to concern me in the past but with a three year old son you can't take the chances you used to...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
That'd odd. I haven't had any issues with mine...I'm running CAT 2micron and here we've got 5% bio mixed with diesel. Just using ~16oz of white bottle diesel kleen and have seen -35* and trucks been going fine sitting all day at work..

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
This is our biggest problem in Illinois. They mandate 11% bio in all our fuel. There's no getting away from it. Mines been froze for two days and still won't start this morning.

I had topped of my tank the other night before it really dropped in temp and filled it with about a 10x dose of treatment. I must not have let it circulate enough. I went to start it the next morning after having been plugged in all night. It ran for about ten seconds then died. It started a couple more times but wouldn't run long enough to get into the heated garage.

Oh well. It's supposed to keep warming up today and tomorrow so I should be able to get it started soon. Then I can get it in the garage and completely thawed out.

Had to throw a work spot light under the lift pump to get it somewhat in the garage.My truck doesnt fit so had to use a tarp around it keep the heat .
Luckily mine started up this morning @12- ran fine
finally found a non bio fuel and new filters helped

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Get number 1 diesel guys it was -34 in nd last time I was there just ran straight 1truc never skipped a beat

not everyone has that luxury, Oregon does not have #1, only a #2 with some additives for winter with added % of bio fuel.

ive only ever seen #1 in areas that consistantly go below 0*

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
With all this gelling up crap.Maybe we should bring back BABE OF THE DAY thread back to warm things back up:happy2::roflmao:

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
"Babe of the Day" huh?!! Yea that would warm us all up. :D T-minus 1 hour till I can try to de-thaw the poor girl. Good luck to the others with the same issues. :thumb:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I looked at a few of the part numbers up......you may want to talk to your bank about a 2nd mortgage.:roflmao:

Ouch just found a few prices as well... But in my search it did pull up a fuel line heater made by FASS for $140 which sounds decent.

Edit: Looks like it's meant for the FASS system only.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
I'm pretty sure my AirDog is what gelled on my truck, I could hear/see fuel sloshing around in the tank, and the water sep on the A/D was dribbling out shit that looked like elmers glue. wonder if the FASS heater could be retrofitted.