LB7: Completely gelled up!

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
So, unfortunately I forgot to add anything to my tank! Just filled up a couple of days ago, and Its all gelled. Is there any options other than putting it in a warmed garage? its like 3F outside.

Its not that I can't get some D 911, but how do I mix that with full tank?

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Double check what the stuff you get says on the box. But new fuel filter filled with 911 and then the rest in the fuel tank.

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
Thats what im planning on doing tomorrow. So it will defrost the tank without any mixing?

I appreciate the help, ive got to get going tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
would plugging it in help? i'd use 911 but maybe you can save yourself a fuel filter?

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
I put in power service last night when I filled up and had no issues. Granted it was 8 here and I know its a lot colder where some of you guys are. When I add it I usually get the small bottle that does 40 gallons and put in half. Sometimes I just say f it and toss the entire bottle in

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I've had both of mine gell up over the last few days. Both had additive but I suspect poor quality fuel since I filled them up at the same station the same day.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
go find a kerosene heater (aka Salamander) and put it under the truck pointed at the fuel cooler and tank. Mine took about 2.5hrs when it was around -10 below last night.

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
Mine has been gelled up every time it below zero.
Added double dose of power service white bottle and 911
And gelled up.@18-
Put new cat filters and heated the truck up ran great
next morning gelled up again@ 10-now with 2bottles of 911
Heated up the tank again and change out the the plastic head filter and added non bio fuel to top it off
It sucks
Will see tomorrow what happens

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
I gelled twice earlier this season.... filter hadn't been changed in a while the first time it gelled. I didn't have any problems yesterday but I doctored the crap out of the fuel. 40oz of power service and probably half a gallon of Howes. -14 degrees and no issues. I believe these trucks need heater elements in the filter housing like the 6.2 had.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Had to take the lb7 out last night for the first time in two weeks. It was plugged in the whole time and fired right up , it has treatment in the tank and I let it idle for 45 minutes and it still sounded as if it was gelling. Idle was very rough and it had no power. I just prayed the whole way there and back that she would not leave me on the side of the road. Lol. Luckily we made it but it did not sound pretty. It was 0 degrees last night and. -15 with the chill.

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Feb 8, 2012
Mine has been gelled up every time it below zero.
Added double dose of power service white bottle and 911
And gelled up.@18-
Put new cat filters and heated the truck up ran great
next morning gelled up again@ 10-now with 2bottles of 911
Heated up the tank again and change out the the plastic head filter and added non bio fuel to top it off
It sucks
Will see tomorrow what happens

The low micron filters you have catch every bit of ice particles. When it is that cold you should run a 10 micron filter to give yourself a better chance. If you still plug up with properly treated fuel, change the place you are buying fuel. Don't even think about using bio. When it warms back up above zero you can switch back to your normal filters.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
The low micron filters you have catch every bit of ice particles. When it is that cold you should run a 10 micron filter to give yourself a better chance. If you still plug up with properly treated fuel, change the place you are buying fuel. Don't even think about using bio. When it warms back up above zero you can switch back to your normal filters.

This is our biggest problem in Illinois. They mandate 11% bio in all our fuel. There's no getting away from it. Mines been froze for two days and still won't start this morning.

I had topped of my tank the other night before it really dropped in temp and filled it with about a 10x dose of treatment. I must not have let it circulate enough. I went to start it the next morning after having been plugged in all night. It ran for about ten seconds then died. It started a couple more times but wouldn't run long enough to get into the heated garage.

Oh well. It's supposed to keep warming up today and tomorrow so I should be able to get it started soon. Then I can get it in the garage and completely thawed out.

millerman04

< The Man Cave
Jul 14, 2010
Clearville, Pa
Glad to see im not the only one having issues. :D I had to drive the wifes car today. Mine truck is frozen in the driveway. Got down around 0 and below Monday night. I believe my fuel filter by the motor is frozen. I cracked open the water separator on the air dog and it had fuel running out. Cracked the bleeder open on the motor filter and had a buddy turn it over, and nothing came out. Bought some 911 and a new filter last night. So hopefully tonight I can get her running again. Darn cold air anyways.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I believe these trucks need heater elements in the filter housing like the 6.2 had.

They do have heating elements in the filter head factory, but I don't think they heat up enough to help with our problems. Ive debated on buying or building a little 12v fuel line heater to installed before my lift pump as it always clogs up there first.