Complete 2005 LLY swap done to 2001 LB7 truck!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
How come you didn't just swap out the heads like others have done? Yes I know a little more to it then that but you know what I'm referring to. The LB7 motor seem to be the motor of choice.

With EFI you could not run a very similar turbo on a LB7? Nobody wants a LLY except for Ben. LOL

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
How come you didn't just swap out the heads like others have done? Yes I know a little more to it then that but you know what I'm referring to. The LB7 motor seem to be the motor of choice.

With EFI you could not run a very similar turbo on a LB7? Nobody wants a LLY except for Ben. LOL

the biggest reason I wanted to complete LLY type like this is to be able to run a LLY turbo. I want to do some work stock truck pulls, in which you can only run any stock size duramax turbo. as u prolly know that LLY turbo is the biggest stock duramax turbo. also then since im running LLY ecm and ficm its exactly the same as tuning real LLY truck.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Oh OK I guess I understand it's the "rules" meaning stock so even if it were a identical sized LLY turbo on a LB7 motor it isn't stock on a LB7. Do they really check vin codes and they will take your word for it that it is a complete LLY even tho it's a 01?

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
Yep must have stock size compressor and turbine wheels but can be different geometry blades configuration. No sorry, I didn't mean they check the Vin. Like any duramax truck can run any duramax turbo.

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
Yea fleece used make one but if something goes wrong u can't just run to the dealer and order replacement like if u do complete lly swap like I did

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
i have to agree that I like the LLY motor much better than LB7. in my opinion it starts much quicker, easier, heats up quicker, runs smoother, better turbo, injectors, heads, etc...

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
No problems what so ever. did few 4wd launches got zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds, pretty consistently. Thats Even on ez launch conly like 1500rpm at 2.5psi boost. my trucks pretty heavy too. like 7500lbs or so because truck cap and stuff.

Last edited:

bonomax

Dec 27, 2011
Hermitage, PA
Love lly vs lb7. Turbo pulls harder low end and smoother power even lowest tune, warm up quicker, on and on. Very happy with the results and def do it again.