LML Color matched and not happy!!!

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
When you are painting plastic you have to use a plastic adhesion promter first then primer then base color and clearcoat. I dont think this guy used adhesion promoter and if you dont then the paint doesnt chemically bond to the plastic and there for it will chip and flake right off. When painting plastic prep is KEY. You have to use a good adhesion promoter like bullydog or SEM. For instance ever try and put a sticker on a oilly surface? Well it doesnt work so well. So you gotta do the proper chemicals to get the proper results when prepping plastic

rkhodges21

Jan 10, 2012
Hopkinsville,KY
When you are painting plastic you have to use a plastic adhesion promter first then primer then base color and clearcoat. I dont think this guy used adhesion promoter and if you dont then the paint doesnt chemically bond to the plastic and there for it will chip and flake right off. When painting plastic prep is KEY. You have to use a good adhesion promoter like bullydog or SEM. For instance ever try and put a sticker on a oilly surface? Well it doesnt work so well. So you gotta do the proper chemicals to get the proper results when prepping plastic

Hey. Thanks for the insight.:thumb:

mxguy816

Jul 30, 2011
OHIO
someone screwed u and halfassed your rig with white single stage cause its really cheap, ive been a gm dealer painter for 5 yrs now and 8624 is a pretty simple color if you have a legit set up or use a reputable paint dealer, i use ppg at work and only reputable paints such as (ppg, rm, and or dupont when outside of work, you def get what you pay for) ive painted all my plastics on all 3 of my past trucks and when done right it'll hold up to pressure washers and stone chips, and like slammed2007lbz said preparations everything, you need to clean the plastic very well with a wax and grease remover scuff it up with a scotch brite pad and scuff paste or (dawn soap even) then use a adhesion promoter (or a 2 step plastic primer best in my opinion) then prime, you need to give the paint a good bed to lay on as a cushion to prevent chips and promote proper adhesion, base coat it then clear it with a good clear.... it actually last !!! sorry for the story book hahaha

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Yeah I got screwed! The paint is holding up to the weekly bath it gets and the small chips are only noticeable if you get really close.

This summer I am going to do what Maricopa Agent suggested and then repaint everything. Hopefully I will have a set of tow mirrors by then, that way I can start fresh on the mirrors.

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
good info.. ive been thinking about getting all my plastics color matched, but have been having a hard time trying to find someone in the valley.