LML Color matched and not happy!!!

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Got the new truck back from the body shop today. Did some trading plus cash to get the parts painted and have the pin stripe removed. Looks great in the pics and from about 10' away. Up close.... Horrible!

Every part that was painted (bumper cap, grille, hood cladding, mirrors, tail gate handle and both bowties) has runs or scratches or dirty finger prints in the paint. Some parts were even chipped upon install yet nothing was said. Jackie called me when she picked up the truck and said, "You are not going to be happy!" FML!

Talked to the guy after I saw the truck and he said he would pull all the parts and fix them plus do any other work I wanted for free. Why not do it right to begin with?! Truck has 450 miles on it and now looks like a cheap DIY color matched POS!

I have seen other work done by this guy and it looked great so I was not hesitant to let him work on my truck. I am not a painter by any means but I am sure I could have done a better job in my garage.

I guess we'll see what happens... :mad::mad::mad:

On the Droid X

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1323323598207.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1323323598207.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 413
  • uploadfromtaptalk1323323624015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1323323624015.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 410
  • uploadfromtaptalk1323323651457.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1323323651457.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 367

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Not diggin the flat black grille, liked the factory chrome a little more but as long as you guys like it. Its like the painter did a quickie job and hoped you wouldn't notice the sloppy job he did. He knew he did a slop job, just hoped you wouldn't catch it.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Yeah I like it but the bowtie is going all black this time around. Should look better once I get some black wheels and tint.

On the Droid X

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Yeah I like it but the bowtie is going all black this time around. Should look better once I get some black wheels and tint.

On the Droid X

All blk Bow tie will look better :thumb: Definetly a nice looking truck and will look even better with some BLK BMF Nova's or similar and tint..

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
Looks good in the pix. Hope they get it right for you. Every vehicle I've owned since 2001 has been colormatched:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats shitty ben. If he still dont get it right, i have a guy that is an awesome painter and hes next door to giesers shop (litterally) so you can check out their trucks too. he paints some of their trucks, Tatum's sand cars, Jagged X's side x side stuff, and other custom work. jsut let me know and i can give him a call to hook you up

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Thanks James! I'm hoping it will get fixed but if not I'll be calling you.

The guy gave me his word that it will look showroom quality and like it came from GM color matched.

I'm not sure how much outside conditions effect a paint job in a shop but it was raining the 2 days he was painting. Maybe the moisture had something to do with the paint not setting up. Idk? I just want it to look good. Fingers crossed!

On the Droid X

dmaxdaddy

Powersport Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2010
WV
I like the white trim on the black grille. Looks good from my house also. Nice truck! :)

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
If he had a paint booth weather doesn't effect it much cause they are climate controlled. And ones painted, heats lamps or full bake would cure it in 1hr. That guy just needs to slow down and do the job that's meant to be done on a truck like that.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Dropping the truck back off monday, but at the same time I'm half tempted to pull all the parts and just bring them down to him. That way I can do the reinstall myself and if the parts look like butt I can bring them to someone else.

On the Droid X

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Bumper and mirrors look good from here!

Not really a fan of the flat black grille, in my opinion...if it were a black truck it would probably look better, but a flat black grille on any other color-truck kinda just makes it look like a cheap "work-truck" trim level truck.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Bumper and mirrors look good from here!

Not really a fan of the flat black grille, in my opinion...if it were a black truck it would probably look better, but a flat black grille on any other color-truck kinda just makes it look like a cheap "work-truck" trim level truck.

The wife wanted it blacked out. Aftet seeing what a full black aftermarket grille costs, it got painted instead. Maybe in the future I'll do a full Royalty Core grille on it. $1000 is hard to swallow on a grille right now.

Once these tires wear out I'm gonna put a black set of 20s on it with 305 50 20s. I think that will tie it all together.

On the Droid X

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
The one I really dig is the Denali hd front end in white.

The white bumper and impact strip with the black valance with the chrome grill just looks killer.

bartman432

Nov 4, 2011
D-Max, the truck looks awesome from the photos, but like you said up close is where it counts. Hopefully they fix everything this second time around.