Coilovers for front Q

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Trent.... 900lb spring rate?? Are they measured different then most? 900lb would drop 1" for every 900lb of weight?!?! So you might get two inches of drop with a 900lb spring in a lite truck. How much compression/drop are you seeing in the spring?

No, remember you have a spring on either side of the truck, doubling the capacity to compress 1" to 1800lbs. that then means our suspension will compress 2" of its wheel travel at 1800lbs on the front. it now takes double that weight to make the spring compress 2". which would then put the factory suspension at 4" of compressed suspension travel at ride height. other factors are involved as well dealing with our suspension so its not that simple but for explination sake, you can see why it can be made to work

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Springs

Your shock is also at a compond angle so your rate is not 1 to 1. I run a 900 at 6000lbs. and it was a little lite. It dropped about 4" but for racing it was perfect.

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
This may be a dumb question, but what about using an aftermarket 1/2 ton coilover like say the pro comp ones but change the springs out to heavier duty springs. This route would be quite more expensive I'm sure.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
From my other post: (http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39553&page=2&highlight=coilovers)

After driving it for a while... here are my thoughts

- I swear it "settled" after a while, I have had to crank up the pre-load on the springs a little bit more... I don't think I have much more adjustment available before running risk of the spring binding up. Front is still a little lower than I would like (I like it low, but it has noticeable camber). One could make those adapters longer to help with this issue....

- It rides really nice.. for being as low as it is, it rides quite a bit better than it did on t-bars and blue/yellow bilsteins. (And it's a little lower, wich would have only made the ride worse on t-bars)

- It launches well enough from what I can tell, made two launch's up through the gears today, both times it hooked nicely... didn't really push the boost further than I did on t-bars, kinda wanted to ease into everything. But it came out hard and smooth... for what it's worth.

Video of launch: [YOUTUBE]91gx37IvRpw[/YOUTUBE]