LBZ: Cognito Reliability

RandoTx

May 6, 2011
in the market to upgrade my 06 lbz front end. have since replaced wheel hubs and want to make my front end new. cognito with the bilsteins is what I want, of course I'll add on the idler/pitman support and maybe tie rods. I have 285's right now. jus wondering how well they last on the street. I don't drag race or sled pull my truck. only pull my 25' goose every now and then with my jeep. searched around and saw a few topics where the heims would fail. I have heims on my jeeps suspension and rock crawl all the time and those hold up. my ? is how well and long the cognito stuff will last. Also
pics of trucks with the kit would be cool to see. max tire size I would go would be 35. just wanna see some pics and hear some opinions.

thanks

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Only speaking from my personal experiences, but the tie rods had inner joint problems for awhile. They may b fixed now though. I had an inner go in less than 6 months with only one hook on them. At the moment I have an idler brace with the weld cracked. But they have been on my truck quite awhile.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
I run mine all the time and never had a problem. I lube them with a graphite white grease combo every 5k mi and check tension weekly just so you can shake them with a good grip and push pull action with a good arm to run them like it says to set them. Check your lock nuts on the bars like you should with any mod that you add for a helper on traction. Mine have never come loose or broke and that's been 20k mi. I don't go over rough railroad tracks etc. hard though to avoid a problem so a little care might help that's my story and I love the way they help you launch street racing they work good guys. Over and out. Look at Max'd Out Ron runs them and he's one of the fastest trucks in our class at NHRDA etc. Why not for the price if they work for him.:):)

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI
I run mine all the time and never had a problem. I lube them with a graphite white grease combo every 5k mi and check tension weekly just so you can shake them with a good grip and push pull action with a good arm to run them like it says to set them. Check your lock nuts on the bars like you should with any mod that you add for a helper on traction. Mine have never come loose or broke and that's been 20k mi. I don't go over rough railroad tracks etc. hard though to avoid a problem so a little care might help that's my story and I love the way they help you launch street racing they work good guys. Over and out. Look at Max'd Out Ron runs them and he's one of the fastest trucks in our class at NHRDA etc. Why not for the price if they work for him.:):)

Who's Ron??

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Idaho Rob Coddens the owner driver of the white race truck Max'd Out. Built by Maximized Performance/Ken Flory and Rod. Rod owns Adreniline Truck Performance and does custom EFI live tunes for people all over the world. Diesel Power mag has an article in the newest issue on him and the truck giving it's stats and build specs. Rod has tuned some fast Dmax trucks and is talked about on most Dmax sites heck of a reputation with yrs of experience from my reading. Maybe that can help you get up to speed on the EFI guys who are high skilled for tuning with EFI I sure can't believe his track times.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Rob...Ron....Rod...some guy in Idaho that does some stuff with things...I heard he plays with this colorful computer stuff too :spit:

RandoTx

May 6, 2011
aight. tell y'all what. I'ma buy em, install with pics and post in my own post on how it looks. sound good? lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
cognito upper control arms with bilsteins to go with are a great idea for a cranked up leveled truck. gives you a close to factory ride. I also really suggest you do the cognito braces and upgrade your tie rods by either adding the tie rod braces or doing different ones all together. Hiems for tie rods are a bad idea on a street driven vehicle that will see lots of miles. hiems are very strong but do not last as the teflon/kevlar inside gets beat out from constant driving. Plus in salty conditions they rust and wear the teflon/kelvar faster.

there are issues with the older cognito inner tie rods wearing out quickly but supposably the new ones will not have that issue, thats yet to be proven. there is also issues with the cognito braces still flexing and causing idler/pitman arm wear or cracking due to the thin metal used.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Idaho Rob Coddens the owner driver of the white race truck Max'd Out. Built by Maximized Performance/Ken Flory and Rod. Rod owns Adreniline Truck Performance and does custom EFI live tunes for people all over the world. Diesel Power mag has an article in the newest issue on him and the truck giving it's stats and build specs. Rod has tuned some fast Dmax trucks and is talked about on most Dmax sites heck of a reputation with yrs of experience from my reading. Maybe that can help you get up to speed on the EFI guys who are high skilled for tuning with EFI I sure can't believe his track times.

:spit:

RandoTx

May 6, 2011
cognito upper control arms with bilsteins to go with are a great idea for a cranked up leveled truck. gives you a close to factory ride. I also really suggest you do the cognito braces and upgrade your tie rods by either adding the tie rod braces or doing different ones all together. Hiems for tie rods are a bad idea on a street driven vehicle that will see lots of miles. hiems are very strong but do not last as the teflon/kevlar inside gets beat out from constant driving. Plus in salty conditions they rust and wear the teflon/kelvar faster.

there are issues with the older cognito inner tie rods wearing out quickly but supposably the new ones will not have that issue, thats yet to be proven. there is also issues with the cognito braces still flexing and causing idler/pitman arm wear or cracking due to the thin metal used.

sounds good. I'm in san Antonio, TX so no salt. but yea I do agree with heims on street use. I got under her today and looked at all the Ifs shenanigans. I have a d60 and 10.5 from an 03 superduty with 3.73's (screaming at me for not putting them under my jeep yet,( minus gears, aka 5.38's and lockers which would be pimp ) but with links and coilovers under the Dmax and a straight axle.... that is outta the ?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
should I get some rare parts tr instead?

They had an inner tie rod issue as well about 6 months before the whole cognito issue. theirs were recalled and all exchanged but only a certain model number was affected (i think if it said "10" on the inner joint it was the bad one). other than that ive heard no complaints with the new ones or the old ones pre the bad batch.

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI

So three guys own ATP then? Rob, Rod and Ron? Haha, I guess only Rob was around to answer the phone whenever I've called over there. :roflmao: