Cheapskate207's LLY Build

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
Hey guys, my name is Drew. Bought a 2005 GMC ECSB in march. I've done a lot of work to it so I figured I would make a build thread. I bought the truck needing a ton of work, but it was ok because I basically stole it. It was ugly and would not run. It was in pretty good shape though. Missmatched wheels and junk tires. Rockers and bottoms of doors ahd been rhino-lined when PO had bedlined. It was peeling and had some moisture under it, but was still solid. Cloth, full center, BOSE, XM, power drivers seat. Here it is when I bought it. At this point I had already took the side molding and emblems off.

Next step was to have return rates checked. Towed it to the local diesel shop where the determined injectors 5, 2, 4, 8 were bad. Got factory injectors to replace. Easy right? Come on guys, you should know nothing is easy. The number 4 and 8 injector hold down bolts broke in the upper valve cover. Took the hydroboost and steering shaft off and drilled out and tapped. Total pain in the ass and took a lot of time. But it ran afterwards!! Pic is from when I was drilling #4 holddown bolt.

Next was a set of factory gm prebent coated brake lines. The existing lines where badly rusted. The po had patched them a few times. Took the bed off and put the kit in. I highly recomend this kit, install is a breeze and it is only 70$ (my cost, unsure of actual.. not a ton more though.) For some reason it does NOT come with rear axle line... figures it was leaking. So I had to bend my own.

The front end wasn't too bad. Both inner TRE and the RS outer TRE was replaced. Front rotors and pads were done and had to replace RS caliper. Also did rear rotors and pads and RS rear caliper. Next I did a shift cable.

Last edited:

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
On to the cometics.. the fun stuff. I was working at a full body shop at the time, so had material and equipment access. Pulled all the rhino lining off rockers and doors and re bedlined them. Front bumper was tucked two inches and the plastic spacer removed. Front and rear bumper were plasti-dipped, Emblem was painted base/clear. Fogs and 03 chevy tails smoked. Made a custom grill. Man it took forever to space the bolts evenly!! Windows were tinted 20% with 5% banner and put 17 inch Fuel Boosts wrapped in 285 Fierce Attitudes on. Then I clayed the paint, buffed with compound, and laid a couple coats of wax on. The dirty interior was detailed too. (Pre-stack pics are before buffing)

Next was Exhaust. 4 inch MPRP front pipe to 4 inch banks to 6 inch miter cut stack with custom bed plate. (Will get pics of bed plate)

The paint chips were all touched up aswell. Frame painted black. Forgot to mention I put an LBZ MP on too before I even drove it.

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
So that's pretty much up to speed. I drove it for about 6 month trouble free. Added EFI live with dsp5 with Corey's tunes. Now Im balls deep in the truck again.

LLY problems... At this point in time I need to pull t-stat housing, y-bridge, up pipes, valve covers and rocker arm assemblies . Everything came without problems. All injectors and the hold down bolts came out easily :thumb:

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
Nice to know not everyone gets 20s. They have there place but it's nice to be different.

Yea... my previous 4 vehicles have been lifted (3 Jeep XJ's and an 85 K5 Blazer). They all rode like crap so I wanted to maintain factory suspension on this build. Had to crank the torsions a little though.

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
nice. Ya seem like good guys only met them a few times. I was the one that had painted mini before it went up there, and other the color matching on Maxine that shane had for awhile.

BTW trucks looking good love that green!!

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
nice. Ya seem like good guys only met them a few times. I was the one that had painted mini before it went up there, and other the color matching on Maxine that shane had for awhile.

BTW trucks looking good love that green!!

Oh cool, small world haha! Thanks, I love the green too. Don't see many green ones around.

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
It looks much better than when you rolled it into the shop!!!:thumb:

What compound & foam pad did you use? My 03 needs some good TLC.

Yellowchevy

Thanks! Used Presta compound and polish on a wool wheel. Then used Presta swirl remover on a foam wheel.

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
Got the heads off. Getting ready for re installation. What do you guys recommend to clean up the block? Heard of the gm way for wet 600 grit with water displacer amd others using a blue sos pad on a die grinder. Also need to drill and tap 2 manifold bolts. Any other tips/tricks I should know about at this point? Thanks

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
Truck is all back together and running great!!!:D Man that was a pita, I hope I never have to do it again. Machine shop took .008 off the heads. Also drilled out a glow plug the PO had broken off. All in all reinstallation went good. I wish I took more pictures. Only issue is the ls manifold to uppipe gasket blew out... that kinda freaked me out cause I had never heard an exhaust leak sound so horrible lol. Couldn't have done it without threads and walkthoughs that I read on here, so thanks guys!! Also, I have the truck up for sale so I may not be on here as much. May downgrade for winter and get a gas job. Then eventually find an LBZ.