Question: CB radio question

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I'm not sure about the 10-11 meter, but ask a truck driver at a truck stop somewhere around you and they can probably tell you where a few cb shops are around your area. They can do some pretty wild things to them anymore, the shop closest to me did an awsome job on mine. It talks and hears 110% better than it did when I bought it, just depends how much you want to spend on one.:D They could probably get you a good deal on one, or at least tell you what some good ones to look for would be and ones you should avoid.:)

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
10 meter's is a HAM radio band. CB falls into the 11 meter bandwidth. You can jack with a 10m radio and get it to work on the CB frequencies (at 10m power), but I do not think that is where you want to go.

Buy a good radio (Uniden, Cobra, Galaxy, etc) that has the form factor and features you want from a good dealer. Get a "tweak and tune" on a stock radio, buy a good antenna/mount and get your SWRs matched and you will have a good rig.

I like Bell's CB shop (not the best prices but I trust them), but there are many good ones. There are also many bad ones out there that will butcher a perfectly good radio doing a "tweak" so you might want to do a little research on the shop you choose.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
what features are you lookin for toby? I believe I have a good used midland I was given. i'll pass it along if your interested. what kind of antenna are you lookin to go with? or do you have one already? 2 ways to get more power are turn it up or get a linear. lemme know what you need I used to be heavy into CBs and have some goodies laying around.

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
10 meter's is a HAM radio band. CB falls into the 11 meter bandwidth. You can jack with a 10m radio and get it to work on the CB frequencies (at 10m power), but I do not think that is where you want to go.

Buy a good radio (Uniden, Cobra, Galaxy, etc) that has the form factor and features you want from a good dealer. Get a "tweak and tune" on a stock radio, buy a good antenna/mount and get your SWRs matched and you will have a good rig.

I like Bell's CB shop (not the best prices but I trust them), but there are many good ones. There are also many bad ones out there that will butcher a perfectly good radio doing a "tweak" so you might want to do a little research on the shop you choose.

x2...Decent radio, peaked and tuned at shop and very good antenna. Never dealt with Bells, but looked there and hear lot about them.

The reference to 10 or 11 meter is the length of a full sign wave compared to the speed of light, these are known as "bands". The speed of light (300,000.000 meters/second) divided by the frequency (cb= about 27.185 megahertz, 27,185,000, channel 19) equals 11.035 meters. That’s a full wave length, so when you hear 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave length antennas, that’s 1/4 or 5/8 the length of full wave length (11.035 x 1/4 wave (.25), antenna would be 2.75 meters long, or little over 9 feet).

Sorry, if it's not clear, I wrote that quickly, just thought I would share.

Bill.

tobyk321

BIODIESEL BURNER
Jun 23, 2007
milford, nj
www.myspace.com
thanks everyone, very good info. Pete if you have a good radio set-up laying around, I'd be interested. i have a antenna, its a Wilson 1000 magnet mount. i don't really know if thats a good one or not.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Im a fan of 10m radios, mostley Connex radios, but they arent for everyone. I currentyl run a connex 3300hp (50watts) a connex 4300 hp (80watts) and superstar 158 (50 watts) and a cobra 29 thats cranked pretty hard in my work van, but i hate it its no connex!!! antennas mean more than power dose though, power will get you heard in high traffic areas but shouldnt be used other then that. A goo tuned single antenna is always the best setup and will work awesome on a standard power radio!

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
wilson is my personal choice for antenna. its tunable and reliable. I will look for that radio tonight if I get the chance and give you a ring. I Also used a K 30 for a few years and it worked very well and handled 200 watts. I talked to eastern TN one night from plainfield.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Yeah on the big rig i run 2 wilson fiberglass silverloads, but only one hooked up! On the pick ups i run (1) 2' k40 flex whip, just because they are slim and kinda match the factory radio antenna using the merchant mount. The antenna i loved the best was my mag mount k40, so easy to tune,, was super high on the center of the roof, transmited and received awesome but i just didnt like the looks of it, its now on my work van wherei dont care what it looks like!