Cat fuel filter mod

$chultz38

Jan 22, 2009
They won't work with the wires unhooked or cut. They are a normal open circuit the little float raises with water in the bottom of the filter and then closes the connection and that makes the light come on in the cluster.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
They won't work with the wires unhooked or cut. They are a normal open circuit the little float raises with water in the bottom of the filter and then closes the connection and that makes the light come on in the cluster.

Thank you captain obvious.

What I meant was I ripped everything out because I've never seen it work before and I'm convinced they don't work

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
The link that one of you guys posted from nicktane said you don't have to plug in the WIF sensor you just tie it back

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
So I can still do the mod and not hook up the WIF sensor and evrything will be fine? The truck just won't tell me if I have water in my fuel or not? Will that cat mod still take the water out of the fuel without the sensor hooked up, sorry I'm asking so many questions I just don't know much about diesels as this is my first one

Does the water only get separated if you have an actual water seperator?

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
Cat sells a water separator that attaches to the fuel dilter mod so I'm looking at that but not sure, I deffinetly don't want to go with out the water separator capability even if you guys say it doesn't work anyway knowing my luck my truck will be floating haha

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I looked a while back and didn't see any filters from Cat that separated water, and I couldn't find any of their water separators that had a very small micron filtering capability. Just run a Donaldson filter on the adapter, and you'll be set. I think the Donaldson is a better filter anyway.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'd just buy a FASS or something with the water separator built into it and run the regular two micron CAT on the stock head. Best of everything that way.