Carrillo hybrid rods/pistons

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
This is pretty damn cool. longer stroke and a HELL of alot less weight! im curious the strength of the pistons though and if they are cast or forged. I thought i remember reading something about this a while ago on here about them possibly coming out with something like this but i cant remember.

[YOUTUBE]tEUNh9JlFa4[/YOUTUBE]

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Are these going to add stroke or just to change the rod angle?

.202 longer rod means more stroke but you wont need a different crank as the added stroke is absorbed by the pistons wrist pin height in the piston and its overall size being small from what stock is.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
.202 longer rod means more stroke but you wont need a different crank as the added stroke is absorbed by the pistons wrist pin height in the piston and its overall size being small from what stock is.

A longer rod does not mean more stroke. A longer rod will mean the piston is higher at TDC, but higher by the same amount at BDC. So stroke will remain the same.

Rod length does not determine stroke. Crank throw determines stroke.

Stroke is how far the piston travels up and down the cylinder. Which is equal to the crank throw, X 2. Regardless of whether the rod is 6 inches, or 6 foot long, stroke will not be affected.

Rod length will determine dwell time, and maximum rod angle at a given stroke. It will also affect piston velocity at various angles of crankshaft rotation.

I know you know all these things James. Not calling you out. Just clarifying for those that don't understand, and might misread your post.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.

A longer rod does not mean more stroke. A longer rod will mean the piston is higher at TDC, but higher by the same amount at BDC. So stroke will remain the same.

Stroke is how far the piston travels up and down the cylinder. Which is equal to the crank throw, X 2. Regardless of whether the rod is 6 inches, or 6 foot long, stroke will not be affected.

Rod length will determine dwell time, and maximum rod angle at a given stroke. It will also affect piston velocity at various angles of crankshaft rotation.

I know you know all these things James. Not calling you out. Just clarifying for those that don't understand, and might misread your post.

X2 This ^^^^

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Nope, your right. I was definitely stating it wrong. I had also originally thought they were showing a Carrillo l5p rod in the weights too and had to go back and look at it. I'm all kinds of off today. Head is stuck in vacation mode

Dmax_Ben

Dec 7, 2016
This is bad ass! I've always wanted to run cp Carrillo pistons in a built motor because people hate on them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk