Can you tell me what this bolt is for?

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
In the last week or so, I noticed a bit of a weep on my driveway. Looking under the truck on the drivers side, just under the oil filter, there is a bolt that is screwed into the block. It isn't holding anything onto the block and I have no idea what it is for or why it would weep. It seems to come from that area, run down and then along the very bottom of the front lip of the transmission was wet. I am pretty sure the leak isn't coming from above the bolt.

So my question for you guys is what is this bolt for and how do I fix it? If I remove it, what is coming out - antifreeze is my guess...

Attachments

• IMG_3640 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3640 (Large).jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 123

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I'm not totally positive but I think it is coolant. Looks like a yellow bolt atleast, might just be the picture? Looks like its pretty wet above it too

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm about 99.9% sure that is a plug for the oil galley.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Yeap oil thats where i tied into for oil feed for my 366 and if you take the plug out all the oil in the galley will pour out,about 1/2 a quart or a little less maybe.There should be a i believe there should be a thin rubber coated washer on there iirc

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
The oil gallery bolts have some sort of taper built into them below the head of the bolt that seals against the block.......atleast a few I have taken apart have not had sealer on them. That being said I wouldnt be afraid to put some silicone or something on the bolt.

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
So, drain oil, remove bolt, add sealer and re-install?

I will go back under and see if it could be leaking from anywhere else.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
that fitting is high enough you shouldnt even need to drain the oil....some will come out but not much...So remove bolt, clean clean clean (contact cleaner) then a dab of silicone and retorque.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
X983. That's where my oil feed is tied to. You don't need to drain the oil. You might lose half a cup of oil max.

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
ok, here is another quiz question. What is the sensor or the thing that is in the oil pan with the wires coming out of it? I am thinking that maybe that is what is leaking and with driving, it gets blown onto bottom lip of transmission. I tasted whatever is leaking, and it is oil, not anti-freeze.

Attachments

• IMG_3646 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3646 (Large).jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I would take some 2+2 or brake clean and spray the area down and see we're it starts leaking from then. The low level sensor is not going to get oil all the way up by the filter. The oil cooler o rings to the block is leaking or the cooler it self or someone was messy changing the oil.