Can I run my truck without an NSBU

AllisonBlewMe

Apr 14, 2018
In all of my years of turning wrenches, I've never had a previous mechanic leave me a hidden message until this truck...... Under the dust on the fuse panel cover, it said "hey dumbass, don't try to start the truck until all the parts are back in"

Of course that's what I'm trying to do, since I stole tje nsbu for a customers truck. and I'm currently without my scanner which is 3 states away right now

Anyways, finished up headgaskets and want to run it for a bit and get it up to temp. I jumped the two 10awg wires for the starter relay, and it fired right up (yay!) and had throttle control, but died after 30 seconds. There was no prime and lots of air, but I believe it's all out now, but after cracking an injector line I don't believe I am getting any rail pressure.

Sorry for the long explanation, Just wondering if I need to jump another pin/wait for nsbu.... or if I should go get the solus and start diagnosing it properly.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Nope gotta have the nsbu or jump the connector to tell the truck its in park or neutral. Been there with a truck i bought on craigslist. Owner said it ran good but needed the nsbu. I challenged his bs and it had rod knock sure enough when i jumped the wires over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllisonBlewMe

Apr 14, 2018
Uggj, that's my pet peave when people aren't upfront about such an obvious problem. I see it all the time with boats that "just need a starter" lol

Anyways, I jumped two pins for the starter relay already to get it started, but it only ran for 30 seconds and now won't fire up. Wondering if the ecm uses any of the other pins to command rail pressure. Thank you for the reply and any help!