C 5500

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I put a water pump on a c5500 about 3 weeks ago. (and yes it was leaking out the weep hole) Yesterday a concrete forman comes into the shop and sees me and says. " hey man that water pump you put on my truck is leaking like crazy?" Not even knowing who the guy is I go out to look and sure enough its the same truck. Im like " son of a bitch what did i mess up". Well i look and there is nothing under the truck and the water pump area and pump is bone dry!. Then i look at the over flow tube and its soaked! I ask him "how much coolant has it used today". He says " aw 1.5 gallons"! I was like " what the fk your done driving this one" then looked at the over flow tube on the resivor tank and it was soaked. There was a small spot on the ground and i asked him, " does it have much pressure in the tank when you unscrew the cap? He was like " Yea man shoots shit everywhere and it was like 11:00 when i put coolant in it and now its 2:00 and it needs more. Needless to say today i popped my cherry on a lly(fk lly's lol thats for paint) pulling the engine out of a 4500,5500 series truck is a pain in the ass! Tommorrow will be the engine tare down project. Sting i guess i should have done mine lol since im the Quote " duramax gue rue at work" LMAO I am going to send the heads out to get checked. Not real sure yet what gaskets and seals i will need for a lly head job but i guess i will find out lol

Last edited:

MAXOVERMOTOR

Dec 1, 2011
central NY
I have a 5500 cc/utilty 4x4 work truck,6 months old I spun a main...GM gave me a new motor,was glad cause had a programmer in it.
The dealer had half the truck tore apart...looked like a real bitch....then they pulled the motor all out an GM called an wanted more testing and they had to put it back in,unreal...

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Why was it so hard , I've done three 5500 motor pulls and they were fairly simple. I'm just asking , not being a dick promise

Built motor , duel fuelers , 60's overs , gtx4202r

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
EXACTLY LLY, after i pulled the drain plug it was easier. Plus the shop doesn't have a cherry picker so i had to use a over head crane and two straps plus a come along....I got it out but prob to 20 minutes to get my hook points figured out.

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
were they lb7s though??? the vvt turbo is what makes it a bitch when it hits the cab on the way out

Nope , y'all are doing it wrong evidently lol, they were lly's and an lmm . I have a jig that I made that actually allows you to pick up on the front half of the engine with a picker and never lets the ass of the engine come down . I actually only lift the engine maybe a 1/2 inch or 1 inch and then slide her straight forward. Never touching the cab above the motor. Keep in mind that I remove the bracing in front of the engine between the frame rails . Start to finish , my employee and myself can have the motor in the floor in 1 hour after we remove the front clip.

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
And just to clear up , I am not talking down on anyone when I say you must be doing it wrong ! I just want to share what works good for me , that way we all compare ideas and learn

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
It really is fairly simple, the way I do it. Motor stays completely level as I slide it forward out the frame rails.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
i debated about pulling that crossmember that your talking about and didn't. thats why it was so hard. When i put it back in that crossmember is coming out! I got the heads off yesterday and looks like both gaskets were coming apart around the combustion area and on one cylinder the piston had hit a piece of the gasket and market up the head. 3 cylinders had signs of coolant getting into them.

Last edited: