Buying advice.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Hey fellas. I’m going to look at a 2005 ccsb tomorrow. I have a scanner to pull the codes and balance rates. Being from the gulf I don’t have to worry or never really seen rusted out trucks. The seller sent me a video and some things have me puzzled so I did a couple of screen shots. . First check out the a arms and second the coolant tank. I know it’s hard to tell anything from pictures but should I be worried about rust on this? Coolant tank looks rusted as well??? Anyways thanks for any advice. Truck has 180k and the seller is asking 16k. He said it’s all stock but I see a s&b intake with a filthy filter on it. It also appears to need new tires.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Can’t get the pictures to post off my phone. I will post them up in he morning.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Take it for a long ride and then check the coolant bottle for pressure. If it wants to geyser all over the place, that's a sign of bad head gaskets. Also if the coolant bottle is blackish in color.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
I get a rusty color on the frame behind my passenger tire from when my battery boiled over
It’s not rust but from a passing eye it might seem like it.:thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Take it for a long ride and then check the coolant bottle for pressure. If it wants to geyser all over the place, that's a sign of bad head gaskets. Also if the coolant bottle is blackish in color.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My coolant reservoir has been black for a long time and I have no signs of head gasket issues. It’s back on my wife Tahoe. I was under the impression that was fairly common. I’m not talking old oil black, but a noticeable build up of black residue inside the coolant reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
My LLY was the same way with the reservoir. I can't get the tank picture to post :mad:
But this one just has more of an orange looking stain around the full level. The rust on the arms is what's puzzling me. I'm going to look at it at lunch today so I'll know better then.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Seems high to me too but trucks are going for crazy money around here right and sadly I have to buy one. I’ve been looking at these and 3.5 ecoboost and I’ve yet to find a 4wd ecoboost with less then 100k miles on it for less than 20k. Most want 25k.

This is actually the best price I’ve found on a dmax. Most have over 200k on them and they want crazy high numbers. A buddy just told me a dealership offered him 28k for a 11 with 150k on it.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Truck turned out to be solid motor and tranny wise. Pulled the vin and figured the seller was trying to cover up a washed title.