LB7: Burn used engine oil?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
that might do ok on an old 12 valve or 7.3 but I personally would not do it on a common rail engine

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
in the older trucks but not in a Dmax fuel system. You might get away with a gallon on a full fill up but why the hell would you wanna put that crap in a expensive truck....?

FF34PIP

Jun 19, 2009
Pryor, Oklahoma
Thats kinda what I thought, just wanted to get another opinion. I've seen on some of the other threads that peaple are using 2 stroke oil, what do you think?

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
new clean oil is way different than dirty oil... why would you want to risk it? there are always traces of metal in used oil, i would not want to risk one little piece getting through on my truck.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I know a guy that ran it in a 24v Cummins. He had a storage barrel and filter system all setup. I can't remember how many gallons to a tank he ran or anything.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Doesn't or hasn't fingers ran just about everything through his or am I maybe thinking of superdiesel? I wouldn't do the used oil in a cr truck but have run, with good results, some new 2-cycle. About one 20oz bottle to fill up. Quietened down the injectors n fprv n overall engine noise.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
new clean oil is way different than dirty oil...

Even new oil isn't all that clean and fuel isn't that clean neither.

The LB7's injectors are so fragile I wouldn't do it

I think its well proven fuel quality isn't the main culprit with LB7 injector failures.

The fuel lubricity test done on DP showed that used oil hurt fuel lubricity. I don't remember how much, but it does. I don't think your going to hurt anything by running it really.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I've run some used oil mixed in diesel in my old mechanical injected Benz. No problems, in fact might be a tad quieter.

Not a chance in hell on my truck or anything half new. In fact if i could get premium diesel for the truck, i would.;)

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
I've done it for the last 4 years in my Dmax (Prefiltered). I also ran a 2K trip on nothing but used motor oil, trans fluid and hydrolic oils in 05 (some here may still remember). Key is, prefilter.

what are you filtering it down to?

i have a buddy with an old benz and he will run it on anything he finds, and you're right it does make it a bit quieter.

i've run a mix of diesel, trans fluid and 2 stroke through mine w/o any issues. it did make it quieter as well.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Haha, yup the old benz arnt too picky. I usually only do burn used oils when the budget it tight. Ill put about anything in it long as its not too nasty. No brake fluid lol. Lot of people have killed benzes from bio or wvo but usualy they did it wrong. Dunno if id ever mix more than 50% but so far the old girl dose fine heck it burns a bit of its own oil. Kinda fun to dump in a gallon of atf and drive for free ;)

DieselS10

May 12, 2009
Oklahoma
My old man has ran used motor oil in his 12 valve Dodge quite a bit.
33% diesel, 66% oil.
It actually seems to run a little smoother, quieter and stronger on it than straight diesel and gets better MPG out of it. It just stinks.

nasty6.6

yes sir......
Mar 22, 2009
San Angelo, TX
my 97 7.3 lived on atf and wmo filtered with a 4 and 2 mic filter setup though, always wondered if wmo would work in a lb7? after running through a 2mic filter it should be cleaner then deisel at the pump. would hate to trash a set of injectors though.

The psd ran good just after a tank or two it would start smoking but also had stg 1s in it as well