bullseye s466 to 468

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
There is a local guy selling an s466 with the race cover from his cummins pulling truck for pretty cheap and thought about picking it up, I was just wondering what would it take to upgrade to a 68 wheel? Do I need a whole new compressor housing or can it just be machined? How big of a wheel can this housing accept?

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I don't think the cost of going to a 68 would be worth it. That being said you would just need the compressor housing machined for the bigger wheel.

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
It has the cast wheel so I was going to get a billet or bmw so maybe il just go to the 72 like I had original ly planned to do. Getting it for 750 wirh only 4 pulls on it

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
That's not a bad deal, but I think you'd spend the same or less just buying a new one that has the wheel size you want. If you were going to keep it the way it is, I'd say it's a decent deal.

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
Quick question... if I change a wheel does it need to be rebalanced everytime? I bought a remote mount kit so maybe I could try different configurations as I go and get the think in and out easily

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I believe if the wheel is balanced then you can swap them without having the entire assembly being rebalanced. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Balance it everytime you swap wheels. I don't care if they claim pre balanced...get it balanced.

Mike if the turbine wheel/shaft are balanced separately from the compressor wheel and the compressor wheel is balanced, what would be the reason to do so? I've been told by multiple shops that this is the case but I'd like to hear more about the reasoning?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I've seen way too many "pre balanced" compressor wheels come apart when they are just slapped in.

When I had my 72 converter to a billet s480, the 80 wheel said it was good to go. But of course I paid the $35 extra to have it balanced. When I picked it up I asked how well that wheel balanced out and he said it was close, but not close enough for comfort. You are spinning that thing 80,000+ rpm, the slightest inbalance goes bad real quick. Me personally, I'll pay the $35 bucks and deal with the additional day of downtime.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I've seen way too many "pre balanced" compressor wheels come apart when they are just slapped in.

When I had my 72 converter to a billet s480, the 80 wheel said it was good to go. But of course I paid the $35 extra to have it balanced. When I picked it up I asked how well that wheel balanced out and he said it was close, but not close enough for comfort. You are spinning that thing 80,000+ rpm, the slightest inbalance goes bad real quick. Me personally, I'll pay the $35 bucks and deal with the additional day of downtime.

Trust me, I'm with you on the better safe than sorry. I had just been told it's not a problem from multiple shops and I haven't ever experienced a problem with it.