Allison 6sp: Built trans shit the bed?

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Evan is on that side of the country and he's pretty dang savy as well. I have alot of respect for both he and mike. When my trans started doing weird stuff I contacted evan who answered a few questions then referred me to mike for a few. Once I got answers and looked more I called evan. I felt I started the process with him so he got my business. It would've been the same had I started with Mike. Both are fantastic at what they do and are making sure they get you a good product and are taken care of to the best of their ability. All I know is I hope I never open a filter and see that...I would cry and Evan would get more $$$ lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Do precision ML converters have a reputation for giving up the ghost at 100k? I've got 60k on mine since it was built 10/13 and definitely want to do a pan drop and filter inspection now.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have heard of Evan but I don't know anything about him. All I ever hear about is Mike L and his damn sheep. Lmao

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Call mike and ask him about evan (it will be all good info, trust me :D) but there is enough people here with info on him to say he is well worth it. the trucks he has built and made the allison live through is alot of proof in its self as well.

Do precision ML converters have a reputation for giving up the ghost at 100k? I've got 60k on mine since it was built 10/13 and definitely want to do a pan drop and filter inspection now.

Ive been seeing alot of Precision converters biting the dust on here over the last year along with my own ML Precision i had for 5-6 years. it had 60k on it granted that was 60k of my abuse and towing.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
Ok thanks. My truck is mostly highway miles and daily drives 450ish horsepower but has 6-7 hooks and 30 passes or so. Like I said I'll probably do a pan drop and see the filter. Fluid has been changed twice since built.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Would it be proper maintenance to change the pan filter more often then? Or do the clutches just typically let go and its time for refresh?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Changing the sump filter is always a good idea. I wish Allison kept the nylon mesh filters that they used in the early '01s. They were less restrictive and great for high performance.
I've thought about having some made.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
My precision converter went about 100k, but I sold the truck. I think it was going out ever so slight shudder on shifts as Mike describes, and did not do burnouts very well toward that point. As others have said tho. Lots of power and abuse for 100K is a great trans build. I have had stock vehicles with automatics go as early as 60k, with all service and no abuse.

ClarkW

Feb 11, 2009
The trans definitely held up well, there's no argument about that. Even though the internal filter is good for 100k/life i changed it a couple times still. I threw on a new filter and fluid, cleared the CEL. Locked up trying to shift into 2nd, and i've got reverse only. Seeing about transport now.......... Anyone headed from seattle to anaheim?