Built Motor TurnAround Time?

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
I know a lot of machine shops hate to be asked "how long will this take?", but a good mechanic should have a good relationship with his machine shop, and they should've been able to predict a delay this long IMO.

And a $6k deposit sounds steep if you already bought all your parts.

Funny thing is he told me if I came in with a fat stack of cash it would have been done already... Pulling my truck out. Anyone know of a LBZ motor complete for a decent price :violent:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Funny thing is he told me if I came in with a fat stack of cash it would have been done already... Pulling my truck out. Anyone know of a LBZ motor complete for a decent price :violent:

There's one listed in the garage sale section right now. $9500 I think

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I know a lot of machine shops hate to be asked "how long will this take?", but a good mechanic should have a good relationship with his machine shop, and they should've been able to predict a delay this long IMO.

And a $6k deposit sounds steep if you already bought all your parts.

Most machine shops I've talked to know their lead time.

Sounds like a hard life lesson learned Kevin :(
Did you get a receipt for the said down payment?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It depends also on parts selection. Usually machine work takes me two weeks at the soonest to one month. Parts I can have in six weeks or less. Three months would be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Most machine shops I've talked to know their lead time.

Sounds like a hard life lesson learned Kevin :(
Did you get a receipt for the said down payment?

Yeah, I have the receipts. IM sure he's going to want to bill me for labor of pulling my motor 6 months ago. And ill have to pay for whatever the machine shop has done which I found out he told them to assemble my motor. So I don't have a clue what thats gonna cost as I asked him and he didn't even know.

Built motor part out may be on the arising if anyone needs anything:roflmao:

Its usually the hard lessons that you learn quickest on.

Thanks for the input guys.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sounds like you should see if your motor is assembled or not before buying another one.

6 months is ridiculous. Even 3 would be pushing it, IMO. I dropped my block off with the new rods, pistons, etc. Had it bored, align honed, crank magnafluxed, and the whole thing balanced. Took a bit over a month, but I wasn't rushing them. No deposit either, I handed them $5k in parts plus my core, why would they need a deposit? If I flaked, they could sell the short block for more than the machining bill many times over.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
6 months if your using a well known busy engine builder. Usually it’s because there is a long line of people in front of you. Gas or diesel, seems to be a common theme with good builders, you’re going to wait a while. Just from what I’ve seen.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I race dirt modifieds, and my engine builder is pretty well known. His lead time can be 4-5+ at times, and this is him knowing EVERYONE wants their engine back by end of March (he gets them maybe by end of Nov.). They haul ass getting engines done. I know if a guy came in with a duramax he would be VERY low on the list. Maybe just have an honest talk with them. Maybe they will come clean and say, "hey, sorry, but we have to do these engines first etc...".

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Time to just get your money back and buy my good buddies motor. Already in the truck and running, just buy it and stick it in.
22998876066125ee7b8218142db6be92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
Time to just get your money back and buy my good buddies motor. Already in the truck and running, just buy it and stick it in.
22998876066125ee7b8218142db6be92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seen that pop up for sale. Good price on it.

Bought an LBZ motor with 120k miles for a steal. Should have it in the truck by Wednesday. :woott:

Supposed to have motor assembled and ready for pickup on Tuesday. He's asking how much to buy the motor from me.. Carrillo Rods,Finger over pistons .20 bored over 16:1,LML Crank Keyed crank, Hamilton Valve Springs,Arp Head studs,Arp Main studs,Stock Cam keyed..What should this be worth assembled?

Also Have a PPE Dual Fueller and 2 extra cp3s for an LBZ. cp3s were sent out to be tested and both are good.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I parked and started disassembling my truck at 3pm on the 8th, and had it back in and fired at 7:48pm on the 24th.

Did everything in my garage except the machine work. That was in 2013. Still runs somehow :spit:

Wasn't that hard all the information you need is on this website.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Seen that pop up for sale. Good price on it.

Bought an LBZ motor with 120k miles for a steal. Should have it in the truck by Wednesday. :woott:

Supposed to have motor assembled and ready for pickup on Tuesday. He's asking how much to buy the motor from me.. Carrillo Rods,Finger over pistons .20 bored over 16:1,LML Crank Keyed crank, Hamilton Valve Springs,Arp Head studs,Arp Main studs,Stock Cam keyed..What should this be worth assembled?

Also Have a PPE Dual Fueller and 2 extra cp3s for an LBZ. cp3s were sent out to be tested and both are good.

Get his bill first. Sounds like he probably does not have it ready and is hoping you want to sell.

Either way, you probably want the built motor in your truck at some point in time.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin

I know were a full built LLY engine is, would just have to swap reluctor wheels on the crank. Send me a PM and I can get you in contact with him.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I parked and started disassembling my truck at 3pm on the 8th, and had it back in and fired at 7:48pm on the 24th.

Did everything in my garage except the machine work. That was in 2013. Still runs somehow :spit:

Wasn't that hard all the information you need is on this website.

Well, you had some extra eyes in there to make sure it went together right :roflmao: :D

btw, when you weigh as much as a feather, dont try to break the balancer bolt loose this way :roflmao:

[YOUTUBE]dchKHIOhqcM[/YOUTUBE]

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Well, you had some extra eyes in there to make sure it went together right :roflmao: :D

btw, when you weigh as much as a feather, dont try to break the balancer bolt loose this way :roflmao:

[YOUTUBE]dchKHIOhqcM[/YOUTUBE]

:roflmao: HAHA good times....