Built Engine Plans

dirtymax36

2nd place is last
Apr 11, 2013
billet or chromoly pushrods would be my opinion. i cant count the number of people who have built motors with stock pushrods go flying down the track and once the sled hits it the damage is done. then here comes the ticking noises caused by them bending..

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
What can you guys recommend for a S475, what AR? What housing? What size wheels? Cast, Billet, Batmo wheels? Where should I go to purchase one?

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I would add a girdle to the list. I did girdle and billet caps just for the peace of mind.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I rarely tow and if I do it's just a little 4x8 utility trailer full of crap going to the dump. I was leaning towards a s475 but haven't really found any kits. Wehrli has a kit but its a little more than I was thinking and doesn't even come with through turbo.

Can anyone suggest an install kit for a s475?

I would recommend SDP or HSP diesel.

we carry both in stock :thumb:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Dustin almost had me talked into a stock 4094AVNT with an S480 over it. Then my charger blew up so I went 72. Give me a few weeks and I should have dyno numbers and some experience with the 72 and 60 overs. I told Mark I wanted 800hp and he said it was doable with my setup.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Ill shoot you a PM.

We carry everything from HSP and have the twin kits on the shelf.

We have their trips, 66/80 kits, y bridges, etc :thumb:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I have run an S475 or larger single turbo on my daily driver truck since 2009. I have driven and tuned cast, billet, bat, double bat, and TCT wheels. On my truck I have run cast 75/83/.90, cast 75/83/1.0, cast 80/87/.90, Double Bat 75/83/1.0, TCT 75/87/1.0, and billet 80/87/.90. I tow when I need to (which has been at least once with each of those turbos), which is typically another Duramax on a trailer to and/or from an event. I have run cams that were not at all recommended for running a big single for spool up and streetability, yet still had great street manners. I have had numerous people ride with me and ask "what twins are on this" and be completely floored to find out it's an S480 single - "I've always heard big singles don't spool for $h*t, this can't be that big of a single with how fast it spools" or "You can't have that good of spool up and that much top end out of a single turbo".

You can very easily drive and tow with S475 and even larger turbos - but the whole setup of the truck needs to be right. The right converter, the right ECM and especially TCM tuning. Talk to LWatson or brandon06dmax, they both run S475s on stock CP3s in their DD trucks and LWatson tows with his fairly regularly.

I have also driven and tuned more S475 over stock trucks than I have cared to - in my opinion that is the worst compound setup ever - it spools worse than the stock turbo by itself and doesn't have anywhere near the top end power of the S475. The 475 compressor side chokes out the stock charger up until it (the 75) starts to spool and actually push air, then the stock charger is a huge choke point in the exhaust in the top end. Going to an S480 for the big charger will help the bottom end a good bit, but you are still very limited on the top end. I would save my money and time and drop a BatMoWheel in a stock turbo for better than stock spool and up to 635 rwhp for really cheap or if I wanted more than that and still better spool and more power than a stock/475 setup stick on a Danville 72mm billet VVT on by itself.

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
I run a s475 tct 83 .90ar and the way it cones on is in unreal and with a built motor and more fuel it would be even better when I build my mother I will be putting a 87mm turbine in and going to a 1.0 ar but that being said to get the most out of a set up like that is a whole package turbo converter ecm and tcm tuning Dustin tuned mine and It flat out flies and besides the dp 72 might be tapping out at 800hp as a single personaly I'd rather have parts that could handle a 1000hp and run 800 and I have driven 3 475 over stock setups 2 lbz and 1 lb7 and i was not impressed on bit

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
There is nothing like the hit from a nice single and there us nothing like the raw power of a properly sized compound setup. Ease if working on them the single will usually get the nod. You have to make sure the compound setup is made with accounting for the fact that you will have to work on it at some time. HSP would get my vote on kits.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
I'm currently saving up to build my motor and just have a few questions and trying to get an idea of how much I should be planning on budgeting..truck is a dd and will see the track probably once a month hoping to push 800rwhp.

My plans are fingers cast oval pistons, carrillo forged rods, keyed cam and crank, crank assembly balanced, head and main studs, heads just decked and cleaned, all new bearings, socal valve springs, all new gaskets and seals, tig welded water pump, billet flex plate, super damper, 60% exergy, 72mm 4094, profab headers and uppipes and dual fuelers if the funds are available right away.

How much should I be budgeting for the machine work; keying crank and cam, honing cylinder, etc?
Should I be getting the crank balanced internally or is externally good?
Should I be looking to get a different crank (LML or anything)?
Should I be getting billet main caps?
Should the oil pump and cooler be replaced?
?Is there anything I should be adding/removing from my list?

What would the total cost estimate be on this amount of work?