Comparing carb'd 350/400 to a 5.3 or 6.0 FI motor

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
That thing fckn moves!!!! I want a wheel stander S-10 real bad now :D

Anyone know a cost vs HP

Comparing carb'd 350/400 to a 5.3 or 6.0 FI motor

Gen I SBC will be cheaper, and likely last longer. Blower and nitrous motors need special clearances, like ring gap, piston to wall, and even bearing clearance. So ls and turbo = tearing into the motor for a custom build. WBC much cheaper, more parts, etc.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Gen I is that a carb'd 350 or the like (383, 400 and so on)? How do those handle turbo/nitrous? It's going to be a home garage budget build that is NOT street driven and doesn't have to be street legal.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Wow...really like the picture in picture view. Is that a Chevette?

Tried giving you a ring Henry...I'll call ya tomorrow when I'm on lunch

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Wow...really like the picture in picture view. Is that a Chevette?

Tried giving you a ring Henry...I'll call ya tomorrow when I'm on lunch

I was on the phone then saw the call. Are you going to be up?

These are of my car back in the day man I feel old now.

[YOUTUBE]BgftPvF5efM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]btektMwXru8[/YOUTUBE]

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
For a bit I will be but spending time with the lady as I work all week and she works all weekend...what would be a good time to call ya tomorrow?

Sweet freaking car btw!

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I like the idea of a 6.0L swap with EFI and all, that would be sweet. I think the newer S-10's with the 4.3 had an 8.5" 10 bolt in them which will bolt into any year S-10. Also Car Craft magazine is building an S-10 and they said that S-10 front suspension will interchange with 78-87 G body cars (Malibu, Monte Carlo, Cutlass) which is nice because there's lot's of stuff for them.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
BBC are alot more dough than a SBC to build... buy an 87 or newer 4 cyl mustang,(ive seen them for between $400 and $800 around so cal.) then build a 400 small block chevy for it, u can get the cross member and all the other pieces for pretty cheap that make a small block easy to install... p.m. or call me tony ive had a ton of small block powered race cars, i can point u in the right direction and have u goin mid 11s for cheap..

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
As much as I'd love to do an LS based engine idk how affordable it would be. Figure something universal like a SBC...not wanting a record breaker just something fun to keep my go fast addiction in check so I don't drop 20k into a built Dmax

Ryan you have a text

speeddemon619

Jul 24, 2010
Northeast OH
I dont think you can go wrong with a 5.3 or 6 liter ls based motor. They take a beating and keep on going.from my experience. Sbc will always be an easy go fast but I think the ls platform is a sweet motor with tons of potential!

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
True however, I think the LS based stuff would get a bit pricey due to all the electronics and I'm wanting to stay budget...best bang for the buck type stuff

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
A harness can be modded yourself (let me look cause at one point I had found a DIY on how to do it) or purchased for around $500. That's less than a decent carb would cost, no?

There really isn't much to the harness once it's modded to run "stand alone". They're called 5-wire defile cause that's all you have to mess with. Ground, power wire, starter, tps and I can't remember the other off hand. Same for the stand alone dmax harness. Just hook the VOTEmain harness to the engine harness, hook up the wires I mentioned, fuel & coolant & she'll fire right up... Hopefully. :D

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Good points Mitch the only problem I have at the moment is the initial cost of the setup. Unless someone knows a good place to get them for cheaper. I looked at the SHP blocks from Dart but those little bastards aren't cheap either. I figure I'll run a 406 or a 355 cheapo motor and give her hell till I can afford something nicer. Should be a fun little runner once it's all together.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Doing the drag calculator math it seems I'll need around 500hp at 3k lbs or so for a 9...looking at some of the other S-10 builds out there they seem to be weighing in at 3k +/- a few pounds....sounds doable :woott:

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Doing the drag calculator math it seems I'll need around 500hp at 3k lbs or so for a 9...looking at some of the other S-10 builds out there they seem to be weighing in at 3k +/- a few pounds....sounds doable :woott:

dude your making me want a lil car or something to go stupid fast in all the time. have you thought about finding a stock dmax and dropping it in a s10? it will be a lil more money but.... :happy2: