Budget Racer

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I know I'll probably be shunned for this however....considering I'll never be able to afford a built motor for my truck I was wondering everyone's suggestions for a fun and reasonable budget gasser to race....I was thinking along the lines of a Nova or something similar...after watching a ton of Powerblock TV it's got the wheels in my head turning...

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Can't go wrong with a small block powered vega. They r ugly as shit but only 2600 lbs with a cage and 12 bolt. Mine should run bottom 11's and if it don't its getting some laughing gas. Lol:rofl:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Didn't even think about something like a Vega that's a good idea :D Looking to pick up something rolling chassis and build a beefy little motor for it....not sure if I'd wanna go forced induction or N/A well I mean of course I'd wanna go forced but gotta see what that would put a total budget at

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Tony you're looking at quite a bit of money for this as well... trust I priced everything out with my chevelle and in the end it was cheaper to mod and race my truck

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Didn't realize I'd be looking at a ton of money into something like this....not looking for a Top Fuel car...only reason I brought this up is looking at how cheap SBC parts are haha and realizing for the price of head studs you can get a street/strip rotating assembly...

Main reason is I love racing just can't afford to do it in my truck.

Just a side note for anyone's advice this does not have to be a street legal vehicle just looking for something fun and fast not a DD that's what the truck is for

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Fox body mustang or a ricer

As much as I hate fords, the foxbodys are a pretty decent platfrom. Bout the best ford wise anyway. I don't have that much in my WRX and I went pretty fast. Maybe a 3rd gen camaro/firebird they are cheap to pick up?

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Check craigslist, u can find built drag cars that guys r unloading cheap. That's how I got my stroker motor. 1970 Monte Carlo drag car, no title, tons of go fast parts, 3k, I pulled motor and tranny, msd box, sold the body for 1200. It can b done on a budget. Racingjunk.com can b your friend also.

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
I got 10 grand in my c5... I thought that was a pretty good start

I wanna build it for road course though..

Its cheaper to do F.I versus n/a

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you are not looking for a street car, there are always bargains to be had with rails. Just make sure the chassis has a current NHRA sticker on it. It can't be teched, you've wasted your money.

A cheap SBC in an econo-rail will go 10's pretty easy. If you decide you want to go really fast, it's the safest, cheapest, and easiest way to do it.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Can't bring myself to do a ricer....I'm thinking something along the lines of what REDDEVIL was saying...and have been searching CL to try and find something. Being San Diego there's a ton of rolling chassis cars or similar cars to what you said. Those Fox body Stangs are pretty damn quick although i'm not much of a Ford man but I could buy one just to race it...another question which may be a dumb one would be carb'd or EFI? Going to have to start brushing up on my gasser stuff if I wanna find one haha.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
If you are not looking for a street car, there are always bargains to be had with rails. Just make sure the chassis has a current NHRA sticker on it. It can't be teched, you've wasted your money.

A cheap SBC in an econo-rail will go 10's pretty easy. If you decide you want to go really fast, it's the safest, cheapest, and easiest way to do it.

That would be pretty sweet!! Never even thought of a rail as an option as I ASSumed they were pricy.

Any starting points for gasser drag tech forums?

I think a wheel stander old hot rod would be badass too but would assume there's more money involved in that?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Gassers can be cheap and also cost alot it all in what you build. My 400 bowtie setup will cost you around 15k with good parts for a supercharged or turbo motor. Sheetmetal intake and header turbo or good supercharger can run you almost 10k but that's a go fast motor set up for big boost.

If you find a 2 bolt 400 block you can build a nice cheap 406 but the stock 2 bolts are hard to find.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
That's a good point Henry. I'm trying to decide SBC or BBC...I was curious on thoughts of cost to power ratio...I know a good ole 350 or 383 are decent bang for the buck but haven't been around gassers in a few years. How do they handle NOS?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The 400 sbc runs like a small block but has the grunt of a BBC. If you use a stock 2 bolt main the blocks are stronger then the 4 bolts. Stock crank will work add a set of 6" rods and a flat top or a small dome piston and mild roller cam and if you come across a set of old 292 turbo heads she will run good and a small 250 cheater kit on street tires and pump gas full exhaust and in a heavy car at 3660 will run 10.67 @ 133 all day. Get some better heads helps alot the motor alone would only run nothing changed 12.15 @ 109 area switched to a set of Pontiac 867 heads raised runners and ran 11.70 @ 119 on motor never made a pass on the bottle with those heads. I busted the front corner of the block off on a pass. I had ran over 200 passes on the bottle and alot of street racing and daily driving it to work and school for fun.

I have let the diesel world slow me up from finishing up my car. I need to do the back half and finish cutting the floor out we have the car striped old cage cut out. But the main part is done the motor and the J&W ultra glide and 5500 converter.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I do have an 89 S-10 at my disposal....Not sure what direction I should take it though...it's a clean stock 89 with a bad trans and no brakes at the moment.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
The 400 sbc runs like a small block but has the grunt of a BBC. If you use a stock 2 bolt main the blocks are stronger then the 4 bolts. Stock crank will work add a set of 6" rods and a flat top or a small dome piston and mild roller cam and if you come across a set of old 292 turbo heads she will run good and a small 250 cheater kit on street tires and pump gas full exhaust and in a heavy car at 3660 will run 10.67 @ 133 all day. Get some better heads helps alot the motor alone would only run nothing changed 12.15 @ 109 area switched to a set of Pontiac 867 heads raised runners and ran 11.70 @ 119 on motor never made a pass on the bottle with those heads. I busted the front corner of the block off on a pass. I had ran over 200 passes on the bottle and alot of street racing and daily driving it to work and school for fun.

I have let the diesel world slow me up from finishing up my car. I need to do the back half and finish cutting the floor out we have the car striped old cage cut out. But the main part is done the motor and the J&W ultra glide and 5500 converter.

That's a pretty badass setup Henry! I'm looking for something I can do a budget and strip down super light and spray the balls off it (if the motor will allow it). Not looking to race competitively just have fun and haul ass :D