Allison 5sp: Broken flex plate????

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I think the flywheel is the flexplate. The piece the converter bolts to is the same thing that the starter engages to start the engine. So call it a flexplate/flywheel?

Stock they have both. The starter engages the flywheel and the convertor bolts to the flex plate. The aftermarket units replace both with a billet flywheel, which the started engages with and the converter bolts to.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
Yep so the flex plate is broken.......in 3 different places. It broke one of the converter bolts off too. I got a flex plate and I am putting it back together tomorrow.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Yep so the flex plate is broken.......in 3 different places. It broke one of the converter bolts off too. I got a flex plate and I am putting it back together tomorrow.

Make sure you replace the 8 14mm hex bolts you can not reuse them and here is the tq specs for them.

Flywheel Bolt - Angular Tightening Method

1st Step 58 lb ft

2nd Step 60 degrees

3rd Step 60 degrees

tysmith

ZF-6
Aug 29, 2008
I have new flywheel bolts at the shop if you want them... I seem to always have them in stock...

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
Well its done, what a PITA tightening the flywheel bolts!!!! I swapped my 1057 for a new 1056 hope it spools the turbo harder at the line for pulling. I gotta drive it some more but it seems lot different than the 57 it could be me but it seems like I lost some go????