LB7: broke my rear bell housing in two

Cullen1195

May 4, 2014
i was pulling a 20 ft cattle trailer in my 03 3500 dually allison auto 235k miles and i heard a thunk and a grinding noise and pulled over and noticed tranny fluid every where and my rear bell housing is broke in half. any thoughts?

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
Just a note-- You have to remove the trans--stand it on the bellhousing --remove the extension housing-- install the new one!! If you try in the vehicle--FAIL-!

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
I actually just helped my friend who is a gm tech replace the tail housing with the trans in the truck. It can be done and its way easier.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I actually just helped my friend who is a gm tech replace the tail housing with the trans in the truck. It can be done and its way easier.

Bad advice. Tons of people can attest to failures. Trans needs to be removed and new part installed with Trans ass up bell housing down. Because it has been done does not mean its a smart or good idea for others. Members deserve advice on the safe side and you are advising him to gamble.

I'm not attacking you personally just need to get the facts straight so members are not confused or misled. Mike L has confirmed Trans removal for this procedure NUMEROUS times.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

So you think. As far as being impressed that you had a GM tech help you; there are a lot of guys on this forum that can run circles around most GM techs. I can't tell you how many GM techs call me for help as they are lost when it comes to the Allison.
I know you're are trying to help and brag a little, but you should not be posting this kind of stuff. Plus the fact that you don't know YET if you were successful. I've seen these kind of repairs take 6 months before they blow up.

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
So you think. As far as being impressed that you had a GM tech help you; there are a lot of guys on this forum that can run circles around most GM techs. I can't tell you how many GM techs call me for help as they are lost when it comes to the Allison.
I know you're are trying to help and brag a little, but you should not be posting this kind of stuff. Plus the fact that you don't know YET if you were successful. I've seen these kind of repairs take 6 months before they blow up.

but at the time it sure is easier to scab it back together instead of just taking care of it correctly :rofl:

do it right or you will be doing the job twice....

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah

Hold the phone there mikey...you got that backwards. HE helped a gm tech...GM tech didn't help him:D

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
Fair enough. My reference of the gm tech doing the job was just to say that it wasn't Joe blow doing the work but rather somebody that actually know their way around a dmax. But I agree, the RIGHT way is to pull the trans. The customer didn't want to though.

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Fair enough. My reference of the gm tech doing the job was just to say that it wasn't Joe blow doing the work but rather somebody that actually know their way around a dmax. But I agree, the RIGHT way is to pull the trans. The customer didn't want to though.

Not trying to harp on you more than the others are. Customers are not always right. What happens now when that fails down the road and causes more harm? Who's going to eat that fix? I feel there comes a point of this is how it needs to be fixed to do it properly or you can go elsewhere as your not gonna put your name on that work. No matter what the agreement was with the customer it's still gonna get around that this person/shop did the work and it blew up.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Not trying to harp on you more than the others are. Customers are not always right. What happens now when that fails down the road and causes more harm? Who's going to eat that fix? I feel there comes a point of this is how it needs to be fixed to do it properly or you can go elsewhere as your not gonna put your name on that work. No matter what the agreement was with the customer it's still gonna get around that this person/shop did the work and it blew up.

I agree that work that the customer request to be done and how the work actually gets done is always two different things. But you have to look at the big picture how many times does a customer bring you the parts and say install this and that part doesn't work or doesn't fit the problem. I feel its all how the invoice is written up to protect the shops ass and your own reputation. Have everything in writing is the only way to protect everything know in days, not only have it in writing but also both parties signing and agreeing upon it.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I agree that work that the customer request to be done and how the work actually gets done is always two different things. But you have to look at the big picture how many times does a customer bring you the parts and say install this and that part doesn't work or doesn't fit the problem. I feel its all how the invoice is written up to protect the shops ass and your own reputation. Have everything in writing is the only way to protect everything know in days, not only have it in writing but also both parties signing and agreeing upon it.

You can do all of that and still have it bite you in the a$$. I learned a valuable lesson recently about having a customer supply parts I normally wouldn't use from a company I don't normally do business with and I will never do it again.