Help: Bringing my truck back to Canada

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Has anyone taken their truck to the states, had a build done on it and brought it back? Any complications or loopholes to jump through? Doing a large build right now and need to know how the best way to bring it back is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Has anyone taken their truck to the states, had a build done on it and brought it back? Any complications or loopholes to jump through? Doing a large build right now and need to know how the best way to bring it back is.

Why would there be a problem? Just drive it back and keep your mouth shut.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Say you lent it to a friend or parked it at a friends place (Just make sure you have a name and place to say it was)

I don't think they will even know. But your best bet is to do it late at night. NM I saw you are out in no mans land lol. Crossing in Saskatchewan can be fun when you have to sit there as no one is around. I had to get out of my truck and find someone last time.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Well I'll probably be crossing in Alberta. Why late at night? I was thinking best time to cross would be when it's busy so they don't have a bunch of time on their hands.

Has anyone brought one back and claimed it? I had some woman from transport Canada tell me that any engine modifications will result in them not allowing it back into Canada?! I don't see how that could be true..

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Well I'll probably be crossing in Alberta. Why late at night? I was thinking best time to cross would be when it's busy so they don't have a bunch of time on their hands.

Has anyone brought one back and claimed it? I had some woman from transport Canada tell me that any engine modifications will result in them not allowing it back into Canada?! I don't see how that could be true..

I said late at night as the Windsor/Detroit crossing they care less it seems.

When I bought my 95 in the US I had no papers for it or anything and they did not ask anything about it. Funny thing was the truck had Minnesota plates and I had my Ontario drivers license.

Just pick up some groceries and claim them. They will say nothing. Also how do they know the "engine modifications" were not done when the truck was in Canada did they look under the hood when you drove it to the US? did they take photos of it all No so they have no way of telling.

Don't be worried man I have done it with lots of things. Hell I drove over put new Rims and tires (5 not 4) one in the box and they did not even ask about them as they have nothing to go on. I will say don't have the bill for the work with you. Have them mail it to you or something.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ok thanks Maxx and everyone else. Anything else anyone wants to add feel free. I'm open to suggestions. I'll try not to worry too much about it. Just seems like such a pain in the ass.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
You a border cop arneson? Lol. 1200hp full truck build done by Trent Nell and the fine folk down at EPR. Too much to type on an iPhone.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for the info sled head. I already own the truck in Canada though so I don't think I need to worry about any of that. It's a Canadian vehicle registered to me. Just drove it down to the states for the work to be done.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
I've taken my truck down and left it a couple times and never had a problem. I just told them what I was doing and every think went perfect. If your honest things generally go well. The only time I had problems was when I didn't tell the truth and then I ended up paying a 30% fine on all the parts I didn't claim while coming into Canada.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Thanks for the info sled head. I already own the truck in Canada though so I don't think I need to worry about any of that. It's a Canadian vehicle registered to me. Just drove it down to the states for the work to be done.

Have him write you a bill for warranty work performed at no charge. Works every time.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
For now just drag and street. Maybe in the future I'll be pulling with it but I'm scared to tear it apart pulling so until I've looked into pulling more I'll just be racing it. Once Trent road tests it I should know its potentials. He was figuring 10-11 seconds so I'm real excited to see what it ends up being. Pretty much everything but the drive shaft, and difs have been done.

Danimal

Nov 5, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ya for sure man! Lol when I first joined this sight it was to get advice on how to best do this build. I had already decided what kinda numbers I wanted, I just didn't know the best way to go about doing it. @Subman told me I was a kid in a candy store not knowing what direction I wanted to go; he wasn't wrong, I'm not a diesel guru by any means, but I told him when I was done it would be the sickest truck within 500kms of where I live. Looks like I'm only a few months, a bit more money, a paint job and some bumpers away from my goal now so stay tuned; Phantom 309 will be showing up a lot more in the forums between now and next spring .