Brakes??

duramax215

Team Jacoby
Dec 17, 2008
Waubeka, Wi
well i'm starting to tow alot more from skid steers to cars to 4 wheelers and i've noticed that just my driver side rear brakes smokes when i have to break hard, has happened 3 times so far and now my rear rotor is warpped i was wonder what kind of brakes you guys and gals use for towing? i just did all new rotors and pad last year at this time so there pretty darn new!!!

rick67

Jan 20, 2010
Indiana
Inspect your brakes. Make sure the slides work and your pads move freely.

was servicing the diff on a friends truck (1500hd 6.0 ) he had the same complaint The pads were sticking in the caliper brackets. Had to beat them out with hammer and punch. Used synthetic lube on them. Problem solved. Btw, he pulls a 5th wheel.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Same problem on my ton. It ate the pad down till you could see through the pad backing plate before we made it home from knoxville.

blacktruck

SWA Freight Haulers Assoc
Feb 1, 2010
BAF Afghanistan/Peoria, IL
Root cause.....

The controller might be part of the problem. You need to see if you have trailer brakes when you tow. You should check their operation every time you hook up. However, if you only have one brake on the truck getting hot, you have some really uneven braking going on there. Make sure all of the pads are moving like they are supposed to. Forget turbo/exhaust brakes. Repair the problem you have and then if you need additional braking look into those. Also check your driving style. If you have had to brake hard three times you might need to slow down in advance a little more. Not trying to be critical but too often people don't change the way they drive when they pull a trailer. Just my $00.02 here.

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
Yes...check out the controller operation and the trailer brakes too. Electric trailer brakes when working properly should do a great job in stopping. But, every component of those electric brakes has to up to snuff. Your truck should only have to stop itself.

drcook

Jul 10, 2008
Also, check to see if you have the kind of brakes on your trailer that need adjusted. Adjustable electronic trailer brakes should be checked yearly for adjustment and for the magnet not being worn through and malfunctioning.

dc

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Check your wheel seals to see if they are leaking.

X2....anytime I got smoke off a rotor, it was from gear oil between the pad and rotor heating up and burning off......seals needed to be replaced. If your rear seals are leaking, itll most likely fill the e brake drum up as well.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Need to definitely get truck/trailer brakes working properly, then get the turbo/exhaust brake, IMO any diesel that tows should be required to have them.
I think they've figured it out in the past 6 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I think they've figured it out in the past 6 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeah
I think so to

Side note... Spraying brake cleaner on a rotor can cause warpage due to chemicals still on the rotor, warpage is due to parts of the rotor being tempered differently..
Been there done that.. Now. I just wipe with clean rag the due a 3-4 stop beding process and go about my way

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yeah
I think so to

Side note... Spraying brake cleaner on a rotor can cause warpage due to chemicals still on the rotor, warpage is due to parts of the rotor being tempered differently..
Been there done that.. Now. I just wipe with clean rag the due a 3-4 stop beding process and go about my way
Spray them all the time. Never had an issue. That's why it's called BRAKE CLEAN Adam lol.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Stop buying cheap rotors. It's called BRAKE CLEAN for a reason.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk