brake line help

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i had a steel brake line blow out on me today :mad: wherever it blew out was right under the driverside door. all the brake lines right under the cab are rusted pretty bad. does anyone have a diagram of the brake system? i need to order new lines and might as well replace all the bad ones at one time.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sadly, its looking like this is going to be the next common problem for all of us in states that use salt. DP had a long thread about it, pretty scary situation. Hope you were ok.

You can either buy a roll of brake line, reuse your old fittings and make your own, or buy the prebent stainless steel kit from a place like www.classictube.com.
Add the Russell 672440 flex lines for about $110 to finish the system off. I figure we wouldnt have to worry about brake lines again, plus get better overall braking. Kinda pricey way to do it, but seems to me to be worth it, esp for racing.

Only trouble I see is bleeding the system thru the ABS. Ive heard you have to use Tech2 to hold the ABS open to bleed it, but DP had a good brake flush thread that explained a way to do it without.

This is on my to-do list for this year. No way do I want to hit the sand at the end of the track @ 110mph, let alone in traffic @ 70mph.

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Buy pre-bent ones, I've replaced all the brake lines on several Chevy trucks using bulk line and till the days over u want to throw tools and torch the truck. And thats doing it on a lift in a nice shop.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
I use the coated lines from "Cant-Kink" from local parts store and bend up myself. The price is good and they hold up well.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
As an update I called classic tube and never got a return call :confused: anyway I called inline tube and for all stock steel lines bent up in stainless was 280 buck shipped to my door. I was told its 7 lines total. Not a bad price. Don at inline tube told me they get a lot of calls about Chevy trucks because of the cheaply made brake lines. He also said they always usually brake right under the driverside door and that's right where mine broke.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
i got all the front lines on from inline tube today. they bend them up pretty good. Of course by the time you wrestle the lines in you bend them up alittle so you have to tweak them. Im sure if i could of taken the cab off these lines would of dropped right in. i would by another set from them. Only thing i would change is next time i need more then a 6 pack :D

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i got all the front lines on from inline tube today. they bend them up pretty good. Of course by the time you wrestle the lines in you bend them up alittle so you have to tweak them. Im sure if i could of taken the cab off these lines would of dropped right in. i would by another set from them. Only thing i would change is next time i need more then a 6 pack :D

this is the easiest way to do it by far, I had no motor in the truck, and just lifted the cab slightly and it still was kind of a pain. taking the bed off or lifting it at least 6" is a must too.