Bought the DMAX

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
well guys I finally got it. Its the 2001 4x4 ex cab. Ill try and get pics up soon. I have a question though... does the truck have a water in fuel light or will it show up in the message center?

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
im ready to do some mods.. its gonna be a daily driver pretty much so gotta keep that in mind. one thing i can tell is it takes a minute for he turbo to spool up... is that normal?

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Congrats on the truck.

The IHI can be a little laggy especially on stock fueling, tuning helps alot mine lights good now. I also hear Super Diesel's intake horn mod helps, I have not tried it though.

Straight pipe it and block the resonator too :D

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
A couple of things Id recommend on every Dmax (and one for LB7).

LB7: Boost Increase Valve: The boost increase valve was specifically designed for 2001 through 2004 Duramax LB7 diesel engines and increases boost pressure from 18-20 PSI to 28-30 PSI for additional horsepower. Totally safe for stock engines and turbos.

Tie Rod Sleeves: Tie rod sleeves go over your OEM tie rods on your steering system for added performance and strength. Dont bend a tie rod playing offroad, or sledpulling or racing! Its cheap insurance from ruining your day and sending you home on the back of a flatbed!

Pitman/Idler Arm Support Kit: Takes the slop out of your steering and supports the pitman and idler arm for offroad or racing/pulling use. Even if you just plan to go to a slightly bigger tire from stock, it can wear out your pitman/idler arms which are hundreds of dollars to replace each!

Its a simple install and REALLY tightens up your steering feel.

From there on you can get into more power adders, such as a fuel lift pump, plug in tuner and more.

Let me know if youd like pricing on any of this stuff or more info. Thanks and congrats on being a new DMax owner! I remember the first day of my first dmax... :D:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How about some pictures?

Oh, and congrats on the new truck!

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I would also recommend a PPE boost increase valve. Tie rods sleeves are a must have for any 4WD Duramax that is going to be raced, used to sled pull, or play offroad - one look at the weak stock tie rods and you'll know why. I have never been a big fan of the Pitman/Idler Arm Support Kit - I have dealt with too many trucks that had the supports and still had steering problems, especially sled pulling and racing. I recommend the straight centerlink instead of the support kit. The only tuning I can recommend for a Duramax is custom EFI Live tuning. With an LB7 you have the ability to install a DSP5 switch and load a DSP5 tune on your truck so that you can have 5 tunes loaded at once that you can switch between while driving around. You will need to beef up the transmission before you really need a lift pump - without a lift pump you can get plenty of power to tear up a stock allison. Once you have a built trans, lift pump, boost valve, and the steering upgrades you can retune your truck to over 500 hp at the wheels with the stock turbo, injectors, ect.

Call and shop around before you make major purchases so that you can explore all of your options and make the best choice.

Last edited: