bottle test on lb7

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Well IIRC that might be a little more difficult because again IIRC the lines are Td into the injctor return lines

Sorry but mine is all been modified so its been a while since ive seen stock

Honestly I would probably just use a set of vice grips and pinch the return line off the pop valve as long as is doesnt interfere with the injector return if the hose blows off you know its leaking:eek:

Sorry I cant help anymore if you had a pic of a stock one i might be able to help more

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
really aint a way with the stock junction block and return lines from what i can tell, the fuel return fro the fprv goes to a banjo bolt that ties into the injector/pump return steel lines

Last edited:

alassiter2001

Sep 12, 2009
here is how to do bottle test on LB7

1.Remove Air Duct from Air Cleaner Assembly to Turbo inlet. Refer to Air Cleaner Intake Duct Replacement.
2.Remove Air Intake Pipe. Refer to Air Intake Pipe Replacement.

3.Remove the fuel injection pump fuel return rubber hose from the junction block (2). Cap the fitting on the block with a 3/8 inch rubber cap (1) to prevent fuel leakage.

4.Attach a rubber hose (1) with a barbed fitting to the fuel injection pump return hose and insert other end into a 1 gallon clean fuel container (2).
5.Remove the retaining clip from the fuel return line.
6.Using the J 44581, disconnect the fuel return line from the fuel junction block. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar).
7.Connect a 3/8 inch hose (1) on the fuel return fitting and place the other end of the hose into a 1 liter (1.06 quart) container (2) for measuring liquids.

8.Remove the Ignition 1 Relay using the J 43244 Relay Puller Pliers.
9.Crank the engine for 15 seconds .
10.Measure the quantity of fuel in the container.
•If there is more than 59 ml (2.0 oz) , replace the Fuel Pressure Relief Valve. refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Valve Replacement
•If there is less than 59 ml (2.0 oz) , replace the Fuel Injection Pump. Refer to Fuel Injection Pump Replacement.
11.Reinstall all disconnected and removed components. Refer to the applicable procedures.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Anyone have good pictures/ write up on how to do this?
my buddies truck is now throwing low rail psi code after we did ported fuel rail fittings & bullet. looking to shim the rail and might just do that as it sounds like its just asmuch work to even test it...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
On a stock LB7 there is no way to do a bottle test to check the popoff. Then again how many have ever had a LB7 pop it open. I have tuned trucks for guys running 200MPA of rail pressure, and none of them have popped it(your riding a FINE line going this high with a stock rail pressure sensor as it isn't really accurate that high up even with the rail pressure sensor rescaled).

madmathew

Jun 10, 2011
1.Remove Air Duct from Air Cleaner Assembly to Turbo inlet. Refer to Air Cleaner Intake Duct Replacement.
2.Remove Air Intake Pipe. Refer to Air Intake Pipe Replacement.

3.Remove the fuel injection pump fuel return rubber hose from the junction block (2). Cap the fitting on the block with a 3/8 inch rubber cap (1) to prevent fuel leakage.

4.Attach a rubber hose (1) with a barbed fitting to the fuel injection pump return hose and insert other end into a 1 gallon clean fuel container (2).
5.Remove the retaining clip from the fuel return line.
6.Using the J 44581, disconnect the fuel return line from the fuel junction block. Refer to Quick Connect Fitting(s) Service (Metal Collar).
7.Connect a 3/8 inch hose (1) on the fuel return fitting and place the other end of the hose into a 1 liter (1.06 quart) container (2) for measuring liquids.

8.Remove the Ignition 1 Relay using the J 43244 Relay Puller Pliers.
9.Crank the engine for 15 seconds .
10.Measure the quantity of fuel in the container.
•If there is more than 59 ml (2.0 oz) , replace the Fuel Pressure Relief Valve. refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Valve Replacement
•If there is less than 59 ml (2.0 oz) , replace the Fuel Injection Pump. Refer to Fuel Injection Pump Replacement.
11.Reinstall all disconnected and removed components. Refer to the applicable procedures.

Resurrecting this one for a question. It looks like you have to get pretty much exactly 59 ml in that test or something is bad? For clarity, what is a passing condition in this test?