Bluetooth/smart phone DSP-5 switch!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
We have already announced this on our Facebook and Instagram, but also wanted to cover the forums...

COMING SOON...our brand new bluetooth-enabled DSP-5 switch! Control the DSP-5 setting on your 2001-2010 Duramax wirelessly right from your smart phone! This is a BT DieselWorks exclusive and we are proud to be the innovator in this.

Now there is no more need to drill into your dash or mount DSP-5 knob switches, etc. Just mount the small interface module under your dash, run the wires to the ECM, and insert the pins into the ECM connectors. Then simply download the upcoming BT DieselWorks app from the App Store, pair your phone to the bluetooth DSP-5 module, and thats it!

We are still in the final testing stages right now, so this is not available for sale quite yet, but we hope to have the public release very soon...stay tuned for updates!

Attachments

• bluetooth_DSPjpg.jpg
    bluetooth_DSPjpg.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 192

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Will this be locked to one phone, or will any phone with the app be able to change tunes?

You can lock it to your phone, for security. Once its locked, a randomly generated secret password is exchanged between the phone and truck module. I suppose you could "brute force" the code, but the password/number could be anywhere between 1 and 65,535. :)

Ben

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
What's the expected cost of this little gizmo? And if I got a new phone after pairing the device with an existing one, can it be switched to the new device?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What's the expected cost of this little gizmo? And if I got a new phone after pairing the device with an existing one, can it be switched to the new device?

Yes, its super easy to switch phones, as long as you "unlock" the module from your old phone first before pairing it to your new phone.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Also...just a note...this initial release is going to be iPhone only. You will have to be running iOS 7/8, and you will have to have an iPhone 4s or newer. It will not work on iOS 6, or an iPhone 4 or older.

Once the iPhone version is released and in production, we'll immediately start work on porting the app over to Android, that way no one is left out. :thumb:

So eventually it will be both iPhone and Android, but the first release will be just for iPhone.

Ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Cool product, Ben. Are you planning on incorporating any kind of data logging feature into the app at some point in the future?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Are you planning on incorporating any kind of data logging feature into the app at some point in the future?

No, there are no plans for that right now. The amount of extra time and R&D that would be required really would not be feasible for me.

Especially considering there are already some existing apps out there (Torque, etc) that do datalogging via bluetooth...

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
I'm interested... but have a question first. What if the one locked phone was destroyed before the bluetooth pairing was unlocked.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I'm interested... but have a question first. What if the one locked phone was destroyed before the bluetooth pairing was unlocked.

I should have been more clear about this...

I didnt really explain it correctly. Because this module uses the new Bluetooth 4.0 (also called Bluetooth Low Energy)....which doesnt really use "pairing" in the traditional sense, like older bluetooth devices.

You simply open the app, click a button in the app to "connect", and you're good to go.

However if you lent the truck to a friend, and he/she downloaded the app, they could connect to the truck and change tunes.

To avoid this issue, I added some additional security in the connection process...the extra security can be implemented in three ways, depending on how you use your truck and what you want:

1. Security off. Any phone with the BT DieselWorks app can connect to the truck and change tunes. If no one else drives your truck, and you arent worried about security, just set it to "off".

2. Security on permanently. Any time you hop in the truck, open up the app and click "connect" the module will communicate with the phone and say "Im locked and need a password before Ill allow tunes to change". The password can be any number that you set from 1 to 65535. Once you enter the password, the module will unlock and allow the app to change tunes for the remainder of the ignition cycle. Once you shut the truck off, next time you start the truck, the module will automatically default back to "locked" mode and require you to enter your password again.

3. Security on temporarily. You can turn security on/off manually, and when you shut the truck off and restart it, the module will automatically resume in whatever mode you left it in when you shut the truck off.

Mode 2 is nice if you want "ultimate" security and dont want to have to worry about manually pressing "lock" each time you want to lock it...it just automatically locks when you shut the truck off.

Mode 3 is nice if you only let someone else borrow your truck once in a while, and dont want the "inconvenience" of having to re-enter the password every time you start the truck.

So, in essence, the module doesnt really lock to your specific "PHONE"...it just locks to your password. Which is a much better way of doing it, because then if you break or lose your phone after you "locked" it...you can just re-download the app on your new phone, enter your password, and you're good to go.

Or, even in a pinch, you could even borrow friends phone, and unlock it/change tunes with that!

Ben

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
Wow!! I want!

I have my anti-theft on tune 5, I could set it to tune 5, shut the truck off, that would be a pretty damn good security, since my trucks anti-theft is a joke. Wadda thinking on the price?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Wow!! I want!

I have my anti-theft on tune 5, I could set it to tune 5, shut the truck off, that would be a pretty damn good security, since my trucks anti-theft is a joke. Wadda thinking on the price?

Introductory price is going to be lower than the current gauge-pod-mount digital DSP-5 switches, but we havent set the final pricing yet.

Should have the final app beta testing done today...then Im going to run some final tests on it this week...stay tuned the next couple days!! :confused::cool:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Just wanted to post an update of this...

Teaser video of the bluetooth DSP-5 switch in action. Just waiting for some final feedback from the beta testers, then waiting on Apple to give approval for the app, and we'll be ready for public release! :woott: :cool:

Stay tuned...

[YOUTUBE]C05E7iP3kcM[/YOUTUBE]