LB7: Blew a boot today ! Scared the shit out of me !

C.A.P

Feb 16, 2008
Well I got a good scare and a good laugh too. I was heading out to drop of some product for a customer. I was trailing a neighbors Ford. I laid into it and was at 45+lbs boost at 70+mph and was well in front of him and the shot gun went off. My first instinct was to let off and my stomach sank. I was like not again.:confused: (blown motor#2 I thought). Well My truck kept running and running well. My turbo was loud as hell but I instantly knew then it was one of my boots that have been slipping that I have been monitoring and meaning to take apart and have a bead welded on the aluminum elbow. I drove to the party store that he owns and he got out and asked, "did she let go?" I said nope ! ;)Its a boot. He said that he heard that pop with his window rolled up and then seen a big black puff. I said you think it was loud for you ! I heard it and there was a big brown spot !:rofl:...........:rofl: I had my mini socket set with me and it was a 10 min fix loosen the 11mm bolt on the clamp and push it back together and re tighten. I know have to drive like a girl until I get the bead welded on my aluminum elbow. A beer and some tears !

All in a day between a laugh and a tear!:D

Last edited:

captnduramax

Dec 16, 2006
las vegas
Had the same thing happen out in the middle of no where with a 16,000lb 5er hooked up with no cell service. Sucker blew off about 8 times on that trip:mad:. Ovaled out the pipe (from what i am not sure). Loud as HeLL though. Scared the shiat out of me also ech time it did it :rofl:.. Been there lol

fix it iti s annoying

Capt

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
had the same thing happen to me pulling a hole shot getting on the freeway. it scared the car next to me and i almost s**t my pants. thought i blown the motor.:eek:

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Wheres steve when u need him. Me Todd and a couple others can voluch for this. Steve blow his stuff apart at the pulls right at the end of the track. We thought rods where flying everywhere. The B&B team quickly found the leak and got it fix. And the story goes steve still won:rofl:

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Had mine do it at the track.

Lots of ooohs, aaahs, and an "Uh oh, that doesn't look good" from the announcer.:D

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Untill ya get it fixed just take some of the blue windex in a spray bottle and wet the inside of the boot and the outside of the tube. It makes it easy to slide on, but when it dries it acts like glue. It has always worked really well for me, but its still easy to get apart and doesnt leave residue like glue will.

C.A.P

Feb 16, 2008
I will get the bead welded ,I just don't have the time to be with out the truck for a day or so. Yes I have the fender liners off for that reason right now !

captnduramax

Dec 16, 2006
las vegas
after I had mine fixed ...i now have a rattle noise comming from that area at wot and at cruising speed..not sure what it is..hope its not a bearing in the turbo. Will have to see what the dealer says about it

Capt

4cstr

resident weather guesser
Oct 27, 2007
South Dakota
Untill ya get it fixed just take some of the blue windex in a spray bottle and wet the inside of the boot and the outside of the tube. It makes it easy to slide on, but when it dries it acts like glue. It has always worked really well for me, but its still easy to get apart and doesnt leave residue like glue will.

I've heard that using hairspray accomplishes the same thing.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
At his boost levels, I'm not sure that hairspray or Windex will do the trick.

If you let it fully dry befor you drive it, you would be suprized how much boost it will hold up to. Once it is heated up I have had to cut hoses off because of hairspray:eek: