Bleeding ZF-6 clutch hydraulics

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I've tried searching for this but haven't really found any good concrete answer... other than just pump the pedal.

I have my tranny out of the truck, so I can do whatever is needed to get this bled completely and properly.

What is the correct way to bleed the clutch hydraulic system?

I took a cap from a can of PVC glue, cut the stick off, drilled a hole in it, attached a bolt and nut type valve stem, and put that on top of the clutch master cylinder reservoir, the turned my regulator on my compressor down to 25psi iirc, but I'd start lower to be safe just in case my memory is failing me, and pressurized it with a clamp on air chuck and opened and closed the bleeder valve until nothing but fluid came out.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Did u replace the slave cylinder?

Yep brand new

I took a cap from a can of PVC glue, cut the stick off, drilled a hole in it, attached a bolt and nut type valve stem, and put that on top of the clutch master cylinder reservoir, the turned my regulator on my compressor down to 25psi iirc, but I'd start lower to be safe just in case my memory is failing me, and pressurized it with a clamp on air chuck and opened and closed the bleeder valve until nothing but fluid came out.

So basically pressurize the master cyl?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Well found my problem today. Bled the clutch about 9 more times, put a new master on it. Bled it till I was blue in the face.

Decided to pull trans and take a peek because the pressure plate was clearly releasing from disc.

Pressure plate had the disc pinched in all the areas it bolts down. Something wasn't machined correct.

uvehetub.jpg

syvusybe.jpg

So I took my little grinder and clearanced it a smidge. Works great now.

Thanks guys for the input. I'll be calling the company Monday to talk about it.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
not this exactly but but ive got about 4k worth of their junk shit. I had the adjustment nuts on my sintered iron clutch back off and cause a bunch of issues. and I have one of their ceramic clutches rated for 650hp smoked, sitting in my garage. truck is nowhere near 650hp

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
not this exactly but but ive got about 4k worth of their junk shit. I had the adjustment nuts on my sintered iron clutch back off and cause a bunch of issues. and I have one of their ceramic clutches rated for 650hp smoked, sitting in my garage. truck is nowhere near 650hp

Not what I wanted to hear. I've put about 10 of their clutches in trucks recently with no problems.

We will see how this one holds up. I havnt had time to call them and see what the deal was..

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Why didn't you go southbend?

I'm a valair dealer and havnt had any problems out of them yet. Have the same h.p. southbend in a truck and it's super grabby with a load on it.

Both companies have great customer service from what I've seen so it was just more trail to use this valair.

Nothing against either company

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
Not what I wanted to hear. I've put about 10 of their clutches in trucks recently with no problems.

We will see how this one holds up. I havnt had time to call them and see what the deal was..

in dodges? ive heard really good things about their dodge clutches which is why I went with them. I will say that the ceramic clutch gave up the ghost at the 175 mark the first time I hooked it with that clutch. for some reason the pedal never came all the way off the floor and I didn't notice until right before it went. the sintered iron was an easy fix but shouldn't have happened. my experience with their customer service has not been good. every time I call them (usually for advice because they really wont warranty anything) no matter what the issue is, they tell me its a misapplication and I should be using another clutch. aside from the fact that the sintered iron had adjustment issues it has held up really well to very many hooks.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
in dodges? ive heard really good things about their dodge clutches which is why I went with them. I will say that the ceramic clutch gave up the ghost at the 175 mark the first time I hooked it with that clutch. for some reason the pedal never came all the way off the floor and I didn't notice until right before it went. the sintered iron was an easy fix but shouldn't have happened. my experience with their customer service has not been good. every time I call them (usually for advice because they really wont warranty anything) no matter what the issue is, they tell me its a misapplication and I should be using another clutch. aside from the fact that the sintered iron had adjustment issues it has held up really well to very many hooks.

Yes dodge clutchs other than this one in my truck and the big dual disc that's in a buddies pulling truck.

I don't ever plan on sled pulling. That's why I went with a single disc, keep me from being able to.