BIG TWINS Charge Air Temps Questions

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
On the LMM the MAP sensor also reads IAT temp. The IAT2 temp or charge air (in teh Y bridge looks like a egt sensor. If anyone wants to experiment with the IAT2 one let me know I have an extra sitting here doing nothing...

Mike will these drive an actual gauge or do they just read through the computer? I have always wondered what the temp drop is across the innercooler, especially on Max'd Out but the problem is most temp gauges don't read instantaneously. Also what do they cost if you know?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Mike will these drive an actual gauge or do they just read through the computer? I have always wondered what the temp drop is across the innercooler, especially on Max'd Out but the problem is most temp gauges don't read instantaneously. Also what do they cost if you know?

Like mike said they look like a egt probe and you would hook it up to EFI

the probe alone is iirc 350+

heathgu

Mar 6, 2007
Sunshine Coast, QLD Australia
Wow thats some temps.

Hey mike are you suggestion that the temps could possible be higher in a twin application???

Yeah i already have the temp prob for my mutlimeter. It works well.

I dont have a system to test. I need the data before i can finish the project.
So i can have a correctly sized intercooler build for my truck. Not just the biggest i can fit.

Cheers Heath

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com

I know they are expensive.

It reads thru the ecm, however you could create a pid and log it (or view) with efi. That would give you a pretty instantaneous value. I have never tried to hook it up to a gauge however. Mcrat dabbed around with the factory egt probes before Ill dig something up if I can.

sorry for off topic, kinda lol

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Could try using a DPF sensor they are suppose to be very accurate

Should be able to power it from the ECM ( possibly from a EGR ) or anything that is 0-5 volt

I think Pat tried this allready and I know I still have a sensor from a DPF:)

Henry posted this info a while ago for me ( us ) ive just never got around to trying it out, This takes alot of the geuss work out of calibrating your calc PID

Temperature Versus Resistance (EGT Sensors)
gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6199&highlight=temp

post # 55

On edit it did not copy correctly

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Wow thats some temps.

Hey mike are you suggestion that the temps could possible be higher in a twin application???

Yeah i already have the temp prob for my mutlimeter. It works well.

I dont have a system to test. I need the data before i can finish the project.
So i can have a correctly sized intercooler build for my truck. Not just the biggest i can fit.

Cheers Heath

Yes Heath, the temperatures can go quite high if the turbochargers are not paired properly. Ideally, you'd want to compound the atmosphere charge at the high pressure chargers most efficient rpm and pressure ratio. Also, you'd want the atmosphere charger to be pressurizing at its most efficient point.

909.png

Of course for the high pressure charger the lower lbs/min would need to be recalculated. But, keeping both chargers in the shaded range will give the best air charge with the least adiabatic increase. Simply, less heat build up while compressing. Compressing air heats so the balance between heat and power required to compress becomes a compromise. Also, the largest drop in heat in the turbine housings equate to efficiency as well.