Big single or twins??

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
okay so with this newish motor I have, i havent decided whether to make it an all out pulling motor only, or a combo street/puller.

but lets assume I turn it into a low compression ratio, big stick pulling motor.

Should I run a BIG single or a compound setup. keep in mind our rules are unlimited single or 3.0 bushed twins.

Im thinking the big single would be the way to go, but currently just flat out dont know. Im hoping to have this thing done for the 2010 season so its a little ways out yet.

Thanks guys.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
okay so with this newish motor I have, i havent decided whether to make it an all out pulling motor only, or a combo street/puller.

but lets assume I turn it into a low compression ratio, big stick pulling motor.

Should I run a BIG single or a compound setup. keep in mind our rules are unlimited single or 3.0 bushed twins.

Im thinking the big single would be the way to go, but currently just flat out dont know. Im hoping to have this thing done for the 2010 season so its a little ways out yet.

Thanks guys.

For your application a GT4202 "Magnum" sounds like it would work very well for you.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

honestly I had no clue what to run for a big single. A 4202 is a big charger. What is this "magnum" you speak of, or is it some inside joke im not aware of?? It happens a lot.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
A magnum is basically a gt42 but with a gt45 compressor cover and wheel which is a 3.2 charger. This would work for your sled pulling rules.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
oh ok.

just looking for the way to get the absolute most power out of this motor and still fit in the rules.

Good luck, let me know when you need a block that does not have holes in it, I have one at the house that has pretty low miles, around maybe 343,000 or so.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
oh ok.

just looking for the way to get the absolute most power out of this motor and still fit in the rules.

I understand what your saying but im going to use Pat as an example here... Casper does not have 1000hp nor does he have 900hp. HP isn't everything as much as a properly setup truck. With a GT42 Magnum and a Dual Fueler kit and a damn good tune you should be able to hit 750hp but a truck with 700hp to your 750hp could still out pull you. There are so many deciding factors in a successful pulling truck.

How much HP are you trying to make and "as much as I can" isnt an answer here:D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

honestly I had no clue what to run for a big single. A 4202 is a big charger. What is this "magnum" you speak of, or is it some inside joke im not aware of?? It happens a lot.

No joke it's a real turbo and nice size:)

Just ask this guy:D

4_20_a_full.jpg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
unlimited single or bushed 3.0 twins...(76mm)

i say runs twins get a S480 witha 66mm small trubo..4088/4094 and bush the large turbo down.. i would get two covers

thats the rought i would go.... easily push 800-900 or more penidn setup.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Crap man, I would even meet you so you did not have to drive all this way. :hug:

that would be nice, my co-pilot for the last one doesnt wanna go on another one for awhile. Driving through Iowa and Misery was too boring I guess. Only thing exciting was the crazy state troopers that fly past you with their headlights off at night and the Kinze plant which you see for awhopping 5 seconds.

I realize setup is everything. i guess I should have worded it differently. Im trying to get the turbo that best suits a duramax motor with the most potential possible.

setup is everything in pulling, I knew that going into it and ir proved true throughout last season. But you still gotta have a strong running motor too.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
i suppose here is another question. Being that I am running an automatic, will I still be able to light a large turbo??

is there a Borg W. turbo that would work instead of a GT4202?? Nothing against the 4202 just looking at my options. I like the BWs for their versitility and how you can build them however you want.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
I say cost vs return would be go with a journal bearing gt4202, they can be had for less than 1,000 if not less. That is just my thoughts.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
i certainly dont think I need a ball bearing. I would have gone with a journal bearing no matter what.

This motor obviously wouldnt be on the street so the turbo only needs to be suitable for pulling.