Question: Best way to do LB7 studs/gaskets in truck

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
So I'm going to do my studs/gaskets before Numidia in July.

Have no access to lift so body can't come off and don't have an cherrypicker or engine stand......so that eliminates that.

They way I was thinking was to take off the normal studs and disassemble and then clean the threads on the block before I start.

Then tape the new studs in the head so when I drop it on so that I dont have to worry about clearance of trying to drop the heads onto the block with the studs sticking up.

Only side I see being an issue is the driver side with all the crap in the way.

Was curious to see everyone thoughts on it.

John

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
i did mine one at a time the first time, the next time when i pulled the heads i just set the pass side head on and used the dowels to keep the head in place until i could start droping the studs in. the back lower stud is best put in the head before you set it on the block, it hits the firewall if you try putting it in after. otherwise you will have to tilt the motor forward so it will go in.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
If you can get up here we can do it in my garage on the lift,just did a buddies truck with it in the truck(02 lb7) ported heads with arps didnt have to pull the turbo either.dont have to tape the studs in you can get em in after you set the head on

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
sorry didnt specify well enough, the stud that hits is on the drivers side. the pass side, at least with my setup is free and clear.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
If you can get up here we can do it in my garage on the lift,just did a buddies truck with it in the truck(02 lb7) ported heads with arps didnt have to pull the turbo either.dont have to tape the studs in you can get em in after you set the head on

That would be awesome....I'd be down if its ok with you.

Looking to do in the first part of July, but will have to be a weekend unless I take off work. Which is a good possibility.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
sorry didnt specify well enough, the stud that hits is on the drivers side. the pass side, at least with my setup is free and clear.

I'm guessing mine will be the same way.....Pass side is very open and clear looking once the valve covers are off.:thumb:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Thanks again guys....

Looks like Scott is gonna hook me up with a lift and a place to lay my head while I do it....

The DMAX community is amazing if i havent mentioned that.:hug::hug::hug:

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Second from lifting the cab is just pulling the motor that's how I do mine took about 14 hours to take it out tear it down clean everything put it it back in an fire it up

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Ive never tried lifting the cab it should be very interesting,the closest ive come to that,we droped the whole sub frame, struts,motor and trans out of a saturn 5 speed because the trans wouldnt come out the top.Ok guys what all has to be addressed for the cab to pull
1.Steering shaft
2.bale conectors
3.batt ground and pos
4.shift linkage
5.this was new to me e brake cable
6.hydro boost? front calipers? power steering?
7.fan or fan shroud
8.rad hoses trans lines
9.transfercase vent and dif vent front abs wires
anything im forgeting? just want to make sure im prepared :thumb:

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Just unbolt the mater from the hydro boost, no lines to disconnect, no need to take calipers off either and the transfer case vent is clipped to the top of the trans so that can stay also, take the intercooler plumbing out also

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Just unbolt the mater from the hydro boost, no lines to disconnect, no need to take calipers off either and the transfer case vent is clipped to the top of the trans so that can stay also, take the intercooler plumbing out also
Oh yeah i forogt about the intercoolers,I just dont like surprizes that e barke thing would have gotten me for sure

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Scott....found out a buddy I work with said I could use his families shop which is just a couple miles down the road. So would be much easier for sure.

Only thing I could see being an issue is the legnth of time required to do it. But I'll talk with him at work tomorrow and let you know for sure.:thumb: