LB7: Best Recommended Tuner

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Like said above, I went with Idaho Rob bc he has a reputation of keeping the truck alive while still making power tht is smooth and progressive...

SkintBack13

Aug 16, 2010
Niceville, FL
has anyone ran multiple tunes from different vendors and decided on what was better? I need a dsp2 or 5 and so far dmaxtuner is the only place ive seen hp/tq figures advertised with their tunes..

I went with ATP EFILive DSP5 switch and I love it:thumb:
1)maximized stock
2)light tow
3)heavy tow
4)80hp street
5)110hp Race

What'd you end up with and how do ya like it?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Obviously I very partial to Idaho Rob's tunes. I like his because you truck lives, lots of power, smooth and not timing rattle.:thumb:

When i ran robs tune back to back with another tuner, robs tune had more timing/injector rattle, by alot, robs tune sounds better at idle, but stinks more, and did not deliver power as linearly as the tunes i used to challenge his tunes against, even my wife thought the other tuners tunes felt faster and smoother, but she liked how robs tune idled too;)

No hate, its a "good" tune, and your truck should be very reliable running idaho robs tunes, yes his tunes have alot more power than stock, yes he is a great guy, just not my first choice as a tuner

I still want to try a couple more

Tony's tunes sound enticing, so do Mark's

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I wont ever "recommend" a tuner, as everyone is looking for something different, however i will chime in when i have personal experience, take it or leave it...

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
When i ran robs tune back to back with another tuner, robs tune had more timing/injector rattle, by alot, robs tune sounds better at idle, but stinks more

Not to be biased, but I highly doubt what you heard was "timing/injector rattle."

Stinks more? WTF? :rofl:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Not to be biased, but I highly doubt what you heard was "timing/injector rattle."

You didn't know that tuning changes the chemical composition of diesel.....thought that was as well known as what shocks are the best.:roflmao:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

yes, i can hear it, if i mash the pedal, you can hear the injectors ramp up, it does not sound very pleasing to the ear, and is very noticeable when comparing back to back, like drive the truck pull over on the side of the road, re flash and drive off, back to back comparison with "apples to apples" tunes, and yes at idle the exhaust emissions were stronger smelling with robs tuning and had more soot in the stream at w.o.t

Just my humble ecperience with my truck, i like rob, just my experience with his tune, thats all

You didn't know that tuning changes the chemical composition of diesel.....thought that was as well known as what shocks are the best.:roflmao:

KYB FTW:baby:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Its just fuel knock, a lot of tunes will run like that, mine does on the hottest one. Most tunes / tuners turn off the pilot injection a lot sooner and ramp the fuel pressure up faster on a race file, we are trying to make power not make your wife happy.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Its just fuel knock, a lot of tunes will run like that, mine does on the hottest one. Most tunes / tuners turn off the pilot injection a lot sooner and ramp the fuel pressure up faster on a race file, we are trying to make power not make your wife happy.

According to his sig he begs to differ! I think Co Co Puff wears the skirt in that household! :roflmao:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

So you tune, huh?
Doesn't removing pilot timing also increase cylinder pressure as well, and could you not just leave the pilot timing in there and add fuel or timing?

Why does the other tune i have feel more powerful with the pilot timing in play? I know for a fact pilot timing is still in play on my other tune file race tune...

And btw, my wife liked robs tune, i didn't, dont think you read that right? Smarty pants

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
So you tune, huh?
Doesn't removing pilot timing also increase cylinder pressure as well, and could you not just leave the pilot timing in there and add fuel or timing?

Why does the other tune i have feel more powerful with the pilot timing in play? I know for a fact pilot timing is still in play on my other tune file race tune...

And btw, my wife liked robs tune, i didn't, dont think you read that right? Smarty pants

Pilot timing does not shut off pilot injection:)

If people need a rattle to make HP,They can have it. JMO

I agree with Kelly when he said the best person is someone who can sit down in the truck and tune it. All trucks are different.

Someday, they will make a tool that we can all tune our own trucks :sarcasm2:

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Someone Needs to sit in the truck to really get it dialed in correctly. I do my own tuning and i dont think i have done even one truck with the exact same tunes. Some respond off idle differently than some some have more rattle than others some spool quicker than others, and all of those need compensated accordingly. The only reason tuners email tunes is to sell more tunes.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Someone Needs to sit in the truck to really get it dialed in correctly. I do my own tuning and i dont think i have done even one truck with the exact same tunes. Some respond off idle differently than some some have more rattle than others some spool quicker than others, and all of those need compensated accordingly. The only reason tuners email tunes is to sell more tunes.

And the fact that someone can't afford to have the tuner of their choice travel across country to tune their truck in person.