best mods for the money?

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
I have researched the duramax alot and i think im gonna buy the 2001 model i been lookin at. Its extended cad 4x4 with leveling kit and 20inch wheels on nitto mud grappler tires. What are the best mods without getting into the engine... and wont blow the motor in a month? And how high can you set the rev limiter without damage as well?

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
If it doesnt already have them i would look into the cognito pitman/idler brace kit and tie rod sleeves . Depending on how it was leveled. I would start with an exhaust, intake, and some gauges. Transgo kit for the tranny, and a good tuner, maybe ppe standard. It all ready depends on how fast you wanna go. Maybe the Super Diesel intake horn, kennedy or ppe boost valve to help the turbo. That would be a great start.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
as stated above decide what you want out of it first and we can tell you exactly what it will take to get there . wether it is a tow rig , fast daily driver, or all out race truck ... we can even tell how to get all 3 :angel:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I have researched the duramax alot and i think im gonna buy the 2001 model i been lookin at. Its extended cad 4x4 with leveling kit and 20inch wheels on nitto mud grappler tires. What are the best mods without getting into the engine... and wont blow the motor in a month? And how high can you set the rev limiter without damage as well?

best mods for $$$
tranny
efi live
tie rod sleaves
lift pump
shocks

4,000rpm is easy

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
It will be more of a weekend truck. I will use it to pull tractor, boat, four wheelers, my trans am to track just to name a few so im lookin to boost towing and also make it a fast truck that will really surprise people when you lay the throttle down

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Hey Barlow - for you there are a number of 'must haves':

PPE LB7 Boost Valve
Tie Rod Sleeves (prevents bending or snapping of the tie rods under off road use, or bigger tires, or racing, etc)
Pitman/Idler brace kit (again, a must with big tires to prevent slop in the wheel)
Lift Pump - delivers more fuel than the stock CP3 can suck
Programmer - Im sure you know :D

And as money allows, a built trans and maybe a turbo swap!

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca

one thing you might want to be aware of is with your leveling kit, your steering is almost at full droop, so even with upgraded steering you are going to get a lot of steering swap on boosted 4wd launches. i had to uncrank my torsions to the factory setting to launch in 4wd without the front end getting buck wild. you gotta do the cognito pitman idler support for sure and definately get sd sleeves or cognito hd tie-rods. even if you had stock suspension and tires

n0useforaname

knows your mom
Apr 16, 2009
Don't know if this was mentioned, but another thing to look into is the Injector Warranty. I believe it's a 7 year 200,000 mile warranty. I'm pretty sure an 01 would be past, but make sure you aren't buying something that has bad injectors. It can be fixed, but if you don't have a good mech. or have to go to a dealer, you'll pay.

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Gauges-EGT and Boost
Exhaust-4"
Front end stuff listed above
Tranny-'cause you'll hurt it before you hurt the motor. Also I don't think a Transgo kit would be enough. SunCoast level III with a new TC should last you along time.
Some thing to bump up the boost, but keep it under 32 PSI. Or it will cost you a turbo.
Forget the cold air intakes untill your over 500 RWHP.
Super diesels intake horn would be a good idea.
Lift pump
Now you can get a tuner EFILive (if you want to do your own tuning) or PPE (if you want a canned tune)

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
If you aren't going to get the trans done then just get efi live first....heck if you aren't going to do the trans then just purchase a cheaper used tuner that will give you about 100hp. You can tune efi to run "fairly" safe with the stock trans. It will make it feel relatively fast compared to a stock truck. If you do plan on doing the trans, then just purchase efi now...it will save you thousands in misspent funds...trust me. ;)

The intake, exhaust, front end parts, turbo can all wait....because they aren't going to be a factor till you get the trans done. The programming will get you to as much power as the trans will hold. I had a stock exhaust/intake and dyno'd 466/8XX with them, and egts have rarely an issue even when towing. Heck with the tow tune I used last week you don't even need the gauges, I couldn't get the thing to go over 1200 no matter how hard I pushed it and I was towing 17,0000pds.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
If you aren't going to get the trans done then just get efi live first....heck if you aren't going to do the trans then just purchase a cheaper used tuner that will give you about 100hp. You can tune efi to run "fairly" safe with the stock trans. It will make it feel relatively fast compared to a stock truck. If you do plan on doing the trans, then just purchase efi now...it will save you thousands in misspent funds...trust me. ;)

The intake, exhaust, front end parts, turbo can all wait....because they aren't going to be a factor till you get the trans done. The programming will get you to as much power as the trans will hold. I had a stock exhaust/intake and dyno'd 466/8XX with them, and egts have rarely an issue even when towing. Heck with the tow tune I used last week you don't even need the gauges, I couldn't get the thing to go over 1200 no matter how hard I pushed it and I was towing 17,0000pds.

I wanna try that tow tune Brad

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
IMO:

Replace worn front end parts
Install sleeves, idler/pitman braces, align
intake (if LB7 isn't as good as LBZ)(never had one so never paid attention)
gauges and transgo jr.
4 in exhaust of choice
EFI with no more than a tow tune (better performance w/ less chance for damaging truck - depending on who tunes it of course ;))
Fuel pump.

Then when you are ready:

full tranny build
other fuel upgrades
down pipe (if you don't do a turbo upgrade that includes one)
turbo upgrade if you wish
a tire burning tune :D again depending on tuner
and an "on borrowed time" savings account:rofl:

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com

I dont agree.... I snapped 3 tie rods and screwed up my pitman/idler with my last 05 with stock trans easily.

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state

:eek:170000 pounds is alot!!!:eek:

lol jk:):hug:

Last edited: