LMM: Best lift?

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
I would do straight axle swap,
you will save money in the end as the ifs is pretty weak, and lots of moving parts that wear quick, especially when cranked.
A good IFS system can be nearly much money as solid axle conversion, and will nedd repairs 2 times as often as solid axle. In 4 years I would have recouped the money I threw at my IFS easily.

crazylb7

SPULN IT
Oct 22, 2008
turlock, ca
I would do straight axle swap,
you will save money in the end as the ifs is pretty weak, and lots of moving parts that wear quick, especially when cranked.
A good IFS system can be nearly much money as solid axle conversion, and will nedd repairs 2 times as often as solid axle. In 4 years I would have recouped the money I threw at my IFS easily.

If it was that cheap everyone would do it! That is my dream to put front and rear dodge axles and 4 link the susp. Ah only if it was that easy!

1200 dollar lift vs 1200 dollar axle with no components brakes wires brakes sensors steering link bars or leafs seals ect.

Don't get me wrong like I said that's my dream but doing it right is not cheap and for the 98% of truck users I think A box kit is good enough

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
If it was that cheap everyone would do it! That is my dream to put front and rear dodge axles and 4 link the susp. Ah only if it was that easy!

1200 dollar lift vs 1200 dollar axle with no components brakes wires brakes sensors steering link bars or leafs seals ect.

Don't get me wrong like I said that's my dream but doing it right is not cheap and for the 98% of truck users I think A box kit is good enough

Why would you put a Dodge axle in the rear? You already have one sitting there......

It's not that expensive but because your talking 4 link's, that makes what you want expensive. Leaf springs and hangers aren't that expensive. I figure I can do mine for about what the lift costs minus the axle. I wouldn't pay $1200.00 for an axle either. I would buy the whole damn truck for $1000.

Don't take this wrong, I don't mean to sound like an asshole just keeping up the conversation. I'd like to hear some other ideas about SFA swap if anyone wants to share. I like the idea of a AAM 9.25 in the front with coils, not coil overs.

I'm on my phone so take it easy please.

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
I am just posting my opinion and experience, not trying to wad any panties! LOL :thumb:

I have a freind who had an FTS and it was very good to him.

I prefer a solid axle with coils or coil overs.

The biggest problem i see with any IFS under our chevs is the steering components.

In fact I am suprised nobody has made spacers for the tie rods on top of the spindle, to get the tie rods aligned with the a-arms, to reduce bump steer.

My friend sold his truck with the FTS, but i thought it had dropped pitman and idler arm link.
Pics would be much appreciated if you wouldn't mind.
:thumb:
I gotta do something with the bump steer and relaibilty... dang steering components keep wearing out! LOL:thumb:

goodthing I don't pound on it.

as for the best IFS, I will say one thing, go bigger than you think you want, cause you will want it bigger sooner than later, and cranking T bars is the wrong way to do it.

Big and slack when lifting IFS,,,,,,, NOT small and cranked :thumb:
If anyone offers you tbar keys, or speaks crank.... leave the premises. :D

Last edited:

dubious

Jan 28, 2010
Alberta
I will start an SAS thread with all the options I have found if an yone is interested.
There are about 4 kits ou there I have found.

In the end it is not cheap!:thumb:

crazylb7

SPULN IT
Oct 22, 2008
turlock, ca
Why would you put a Dodge axle in the rear? You already have one sitting there......

It's not that expensive but because your talking 4 link's, that makes what you want expensive. Leaf springs and hangers aren't that expensive. I figure I can do mine for about what the lift costs minus the axle. I wouldn't pay $1200.00 for an axle either. I would buy the whole damn truck for $1000.

Don't take this wrong, I don't mean to sound like an asshole just keeping up the conversation. I'd like to hear some other ideas about SFA swap if anyone wants to share. I like the idea of a AAM 9.25 in the front with coils, not coil overs.

I'm on my phone so take it easy please.[/QUOTE

I would put a rear dodge axle for 2 reasons 1st it's about 2" wider
2nd the brake calipers are facing back and they look good chrome

why would you leaf lift a gm truck? You want that thing to ride like a 1978 bronco??? I just thought the whole point was for an improvment

And I have not found a dodge axle w/ 3.73 and abs for < 1000$ in cen cal

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
As I routinely tell my friend (Who's fab shop does the SFA swap regularily) "If I wanted a SFA I'da bought a Dodge." IFS Woot Woot!!:rockon:

ICULKN

And Yes I drive it !!
Jan 6, 2010
SO CAL / New York
I have a Bullet Proof Suspension 12 inch lift, And have had no problems. I like the Rize Kit but will be a Pain in the A** to clean inside all those Box Beam's

abuen

Mar 8, 2011
Now that I own two lifts I can say for myself. I have a 2500hd with Cognito 12 and a 3500hd with 12 bulletproof. Big difference. Cognito is way smoother bullet proof is always out of alignment. Bullet proof requires more maintenance always squeezing and wanders all over the road compared to Cognito.