Beginner welding equipment

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I have waited long in my life to begin welding......my dad on the other hand can weld just about anything just as good as any automated system.

I am looking for a decent beginner rig, TIG.....without breaking the bank on some $2,000 system....Like to spend 5-600 max.

What do you guys recommend?

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
http://www.longevity-inc.com/
Plenty of dual voltage 110/220. They're fairly new to the market so the cost is down. They're pretty nice. I like my Tig anyway. My first welder was a Lincoln Mig from Home Depot and it's still running like a champ.
Good luck and watch the puddle!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
whatever you do dont get a 110v system its a waste of money IMO. its not strong enough to do anything structural on a vehicle.

i have a 220v Lincoln Electric wire feed MIG that i paid about 550 for and then had to rent a bottle which was pretty cheap.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Go to your local welding supply place and tell them what you're wanting to weld and what process you'd like to use. See if they have any used welder available or know of anybody looking to up grade. You can also keep an eye out for one on Craigslist.

If you want to mig weld Lincoln or miller makes a nice 180 mig machine, 220 volt. Lincoln also makes a Dual 180, meaning you can either plug it into 220 or 110.
For stick or DC Tig Lincoln makes a small V155 machine that's the size of a small lunch box, they're 110 or 220 volt; I know miller has a similar one just don't know the model number. Miller makes a small AC/DC Tig machine but they're $2k plus new if I remember right.

The Lincoln or miller 180 should run you $800 - $900.

I've got a Lincoln 180 & V155. I really like the Lincoln 180 for its size & being able to weld thinner metal easier. I also like the V155 b/c of its size and how easy it is to pack up.

I also have a Lincoln 185 pulse Tig/stick machine & miller 200 mig welder. The miller mig welder I bought used from our welding supply place back home for $700; its an older machine but it works good and very consistent.

Hope tat helps.

Yellowchevy

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
well i wouldn't say worthless but 110 doesn't put out enough voltage to get good penetration for a safe weld on anything thick you would find on a car.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Miller over Lincoln for a MIG or TIG.

Diesel powered is a different story. Lincoln is far better than Miller.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I have a precision TIG 225 that has Hi freq and pulse for alluminium welding, stick welding, came with everything but the bottle, and a stick lead for 2250. shipped. very nice unit. I know that's more then you want to spend but I shouldn't have to ever buy a bigger one.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Miller over Lincoln for a MIG or TIG.

Diesel powered is a different story. Lincoln is far better than Miller.

X2. Like mentioned before. Check your local welding supply places and c/l. Just make sure to test weld if its used before you hand over cash.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Theres no reason to even buy a welder if your going to only spend in the 500 area. Not going to be happy with what you end up with at all there. Heck you find a nice water cooled torch cost that much even a nice helmet run half that.

DSCF8899.jpg

DSCF8897.jpg

DSCF8896.jpg

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
sorry but i disagree, my Lincoln 220 Mig i bought for 600 built an entire tube chassis buggy, and an 18' flat bed trailer and its still going strong 10 years later with never one single problem except for all the gas and wire it uses :D :thumb:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
John I'm in the same boat I want to learn how to weld and not sure what to get.Had my eye on a miller 250 with a new whip tank and coils of wire for 500 and I lost out on it because I couldn't get there fast enough.I've seen some older cheap tig welders on Craigslist could buy 1 or them to learn and how if you can master an old 1 and learn the ropes then upgrade later on I think that's would be the way to go myself.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
sorry but i disagree, my Lincoln 220 Mig i bought for 600 built an entire tube chassis buggy, and an 18' flat bed trailer and its still going strong 10 years later with never one single problem except for all the gas and wire it uses :D :thumb:

I'm talking about the Home Depot special and lowes. Not a Lincoln or Miller you find someone hard up for cash for. But I also would not try buying something to old its becoming harder to get parts for some units and if you do get them. The part cost more then the machine was worth to start with.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
ahh i see what you mean, you were talking about cheap units not top brand units with a cheap price (which you can only find occasionally)

i paid very little for my Lincoln but its one of the better units out there and i guess i should have mentioned i got a great deal on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
ahh i see what you mean, you were talking about cheap units not top brand units with a cheap price (which you can only find occasionally)

i paid very little for my Lincoln but its one of the better units out there and i guess i should have mentioned i got a great deal on it.

Yes we have bought some good older mig welders got a year out of them. Got lucky repaired for 100 to 200 then 6 months later needed repaired again but parts would be 600 to 800 and only gave 400 for the machine. But older units also have down falls to them. There beat up and run slow and the lines have snags in them ( migs ) and piss you off lol.