BD turbine diverter valve

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Has anyone used one of these on a dmax to help spool a big single?

http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/202P
I've been waiting for forum feedback on this product as well, me tinks it would work well with a 4202

They are two completely different products that work off different premises. The BD valve works off pressure like a waste gate, but allows more or lees air to pass through the pedestal to the turbo( if i understand it right)

the mixture control devise from DT works with the injectors, so you can dial in or out the fuel "trim" to help push the turbine harder with more fuel, or dial it back and have less smoke, to get your fueling perfect, or you can cut the fuel out enough to significantly reduce power, like a valet mode(if I understand it right)

Just my opinion based on how I understand the products, I've never used either:eek:

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
No, I was talking about the quick spool valve. I believe it works similar to the BD one you are looking at.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
No, I was talking about the quick spool valve. I believe it works similar to the BD one you are looking at.

Just Looking at the video and what it's accomplishing...but maybe I missed something?

The quick spool "valve" isn't a hard part or a valve at all, rather it is a mixture control knob that affects the injectors, it's an electronic gizmo. The BD valve is actually a butterfly valve that sits between the turbo and turbo pedestal and allows more or less exhaust gasses to hit the turbine to allow for more or less drive pressure, so a larger turbo can spool quicker on the low end, and then the valve opens on the top end to allow the bigger turbo its full potential and not choke out, again, if I understand how it works correctly.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Just Looking at the video and what it's accomplishing...but maybe I missed something?

The quick spool "valve" isn't a hard part or a valve at all, rather it is a mixture control knob that affects the injectors, it's an electronic gizmo. The BD valve is actually a butterfly valve that sits between the turbo and turbo pedestal and allows more or less exhaust gasses to hit the turbine to allow for more or less drive pressure, so a larger turbo can spool quicker on the low end, and then the valve opens on the top end to allow the bigger turbo its full potential and not choke out, again, if I understand how it works correctly.

I didn't see anything about a quick spool valve either. Just the mixture control.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I'll try another question with this...

Anyone think the diverter valve would be beneficial to spool a big single and reduce lag on a dmax truck with 37's?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Yes it will. They are fairly popular on the 5.9's with larger singles. They definatly work but take some time to dial in.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
At the beginning of the video he just mentions it and drive a bit. He talked more about the mixture control than the valve. I googled it and looks like the bd but a little smaller. Also saw a post on Facebook yesterday about Scott at sdp testing the bd valve on they're new big single charger kit

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I've been waiting for forum feedback on this product as well, me tinks it would work well with a 4202

They are two completely different products that work off different premises. The BD valve works off pressure like a waste gate, but allows more or lees air to pass through the pedestal to the turbo( if i understand it right)

the mixture control devise from DT works with the injectors, so you can dial in or out the fuel "trim" to help push the turbine harder with more fuel, or dial it back and have less smoke, to get your fueling perfect, or you can cut the fuel out enough to significantly reduce power, like a valet mode(if I understand it right)

Just my opinion based on how I understand the products, I've never used either:eek:

A 4202 is too small to need a diverter and would create really high drive pressure. They are for guys that want to run big turbine wheels and housings. You're correct about it running off boost pressure like a wastegate. It closes a butterfly valve on one side of the turbine housing. As boost comes up the butterfly opens. Not really needed on a 400 cu in V8 IMO.

The mixture controller ties into the MAF sensor

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
A 4202 is too small to need a diverter and would create really high drive pressure. They are for guys that want to run big turbine wheels and housings. You're correct about it running off boost pressure like a wastegate. It closes a butterfly valve on one side of the turbine housing. As boost comes up the butterfly opens. Not really needed on a 400 cu in V8 IMO.

The mixture controller ties into the MAF sensor

:thumb:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Mixture control

I have been running the mixture control for 3 years now and it is nice I can make my big tune perfectly clean from a dead stop to full power. the trade off is it is much slower to light, or I can crank it up and roll coal and light really quickly. as far as I know i'm the only one running one. bought it when he first sold them and never saw or heard of anyone with one since.

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I'm running a mixture controller also. I hooked up a scanner to watch the MAF readings to help dial it in at and idle then fine tuned it on the street. I've been able to turn it down on the freeway to pick up better fuel economy or turn it up for the strip to help spool the turbo but just enough to keep it running clean.