BD Exhaust Manifold

4x4man

Jun 10, 2009
Aurora, CO
Hey good thread to stumble into. I plan on buying this next week towards the end of our vacation so it'll be waiting for me when I get back.
I plan on giving the bolts a 'one week soak period' for hope... First one to bleed buys the beer! :D

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The manifold is finally in. The bolts on the heat shield are 10mm. The bolts connecting the manifold to the up pipe are 12mm 12pt. And the manifold bolts are 14mm. I pulled the driver's side boost tube, but left the steering shaft in place. In order to get the manifold out with the shaft in place I had to move the manifold around quite a bit in there. The big things were I had to get the rear stud into the rear most exhaust port on the manifold. This allows the front of the manifold to be able to be pulled off of the stud. The second bolt from the front on the top of the manifold will stay in the manifold until you move the manifold enough to get it out, it was hitting the steering shaft, atleast on my truck anyway. The manifold was pulled out the bottom next to the oil filter. I also destroyed the stock gasket doing this. I was able to install a new gasket and get the BD manifold in there by reversing this procedure somewhat. It probably took a bit longer doing it this way, but my steering shaft was rusted together pretty good. I'm not sure if this works on all trucks so don't hold me to it. And thanks to my Dad for all the help. Sorry for the long post.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Right on Dan & Dad

Now you must install a big turbo or things wont work right:D

FWIW there is kinda a way that bolt comes out from there on your steering shaft
only one side can be loosend......Not sure if that was your problom

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I pulled the bolt out of the steering shaft, it had some kind of nut on the back side. The one that gave me trouble was the one near the steering box. We tried wiggling the manifold out first and it worked. If worse came to worse we were going to fuss with the steering shaft some more.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I pulled the bolt out of the steering shaft, it had some kind of nut on the back side. The one that gave me trouble was the one near the steering box. We tried wiggling the manifold out first and it worked. If worse came to worse we were going to fuss with the steering shaft some more.

Streering box bolt donsnt need to come off:)
Tie off the steering wheel
remove the nut /bolt that you did
push the upper shaft up ,they seperate this way.

This is also a good time to grease the steering shaft..but thats another story