Batmo wheel installed - S480 in a compound setup

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I wish vendors would do a buy back guarantee on this. With all the mixed reviews I hate to have a $500 paper weight.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
You can give stainless diesel a call and see what they can do and also ask what the real benefits are I'm sure other people with experiences will chime in too

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
Wheels

I have seen back to back dyno runs with a drop in wheel. No tuning changes where made. I was impressed with how they looked. I called to see if they make the wheels for a gtx4202 and a gt5541. I was told at this time they don't have enough interest in those models at this time. Soooo if anyone else is interest please call bullseye

I wish vendors would do a buy back guarantee on this. With all the mixed reviews I hate to have a $500 paper weight.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
coker6303 did you weigh the wheels to see if there was a difference?

You can give stainless diesel a call and see what they can do and also ask what the real benefits are I'm sure other people with experiences will chime in too

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

In looking on their website I only saw billet wheel upgrades for the s400, not the batmo like the op is using.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I have seen back to back dyno runs with a drop in wheel. No tuning changes where made. I was impressed with how they looked. I called to see if they make the wheels for a gtx4202 and a gt5541. I was told at this time they don't have enough interest in those models at this time. Soooo if anyone else is interest please call bullseye

Over on duramaxforum there was a thread about turbos. And nick from DT posted a link to a test that they ran where they upgraded to a billet wheel in an s400 turbo. The test showed that they had a slower spool up and actually lost power on the top end with the billet wheel. So this makes me very skeptical. What kind of wheel where they dynoing?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Over on duramaxforum there was a thread about turbos. And nick from DT posted a link to a test that they ran where they upgraded to a billet wheel in an s400 turbo. The test showed that they had a slower spool up and actually lost power on the top end with the billet wheel. So this makes me very skeptical. What kind of wheel where they dynoing?

I've read all kinds of mixed reviews too. Tons of nay say'ers. Talked to Mark and figured it was worth a shot anyway. Glad I did, any gain in spool up is money well spent to me!

The logs don't lie and tuning was the same. 1 degree difference in air temp. Tuning was the same. The test for each wheel involved several logs and the best from each were used.

I don't know what to expect in terms of hp on a dyno, but I'm confident the torque curve will be coming in sooner on the graph.

Not sure if the results would be the same in a single application or not. My logs show that it is more aggressive at low shaft speeds which brings boost in quicker. Perfect for that atmosphere turbo in a compound. I don't see how it wouldn't help a single turbo too, but I can't speak for that application.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Made a long, steady trip today to see a customer and can't say enough good things about the wheel change. Drove 75-80 out to the customer and then cruised 65 on the way back.

The response is just so much smoother and quicker at a light cruise. I was still using aux fuel in my bed tank so I couldn't get an accurate mpg reading but I'm betting in my case the fuel mileage will improve slightly with the added response. Just seems to take less to maintain speeds.

Josh's tuning has done a great job with making the twins clean and responseive, the wheel is icing on the cake. Complements the twin package very nicely.

Someone did bring up an interesting point today. It would be cool to see a standard billet wheel comparison thrown in here. Might see if I can come across one for the lag test logs.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I posted all those results back when these wheels came out and no one wanted to hear it. Technically speaking you can't buy the wheels because they don't sell them separately. Only way to get the S300-S400 Batmowheels is to buy a turbo that's why you can't find them. I sometimes have them new and used instock and can do something else with them.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I posted all those results back when these wheels came out and no one wanted to hear it. Technically speaking you can't buy the wheels because they don't sell them separately. Only way to get the S300-S400 Batmowheels is to buy a turbo that's why you can't find them. I sometimes have them new and used instock and can do something else with them.

You know how the internet can be.... Had I not experienced it first hand, I would still be skeptical with all the crap on the forums surrounding the billet and batmo variations. Forums are good tools but man if you stray away from the mainstream it is just shunned as the devil! ;) :hug:

I'm glad you caught that phone call and had one available. It's like it was meant to be! lol :thumb: :D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I saw batmo threads on DP too that said in the end they weren't worth the effort to change them for what they cost and the end results. This was on a stock vvt though. I'm on the fence if they are worth it. I've seen so many gimmicks over the years I'm wary nowadays.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i really have no idea if the batmowheel in my stock turbo was worth it as Yellowchevy did a bunch of work to the rest of the turbo as well. spool up seems quick and i cant say ive seen anything negitive out of it.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
spent another day driving, 1 trip today was about 1.5hrs 1 way through houston and down south to the port. I have noticed that cruising I am holding about 4psi at very light throttle, where before it would almost be no boost. It is definitely building more boost at light throttle. Easily comes up to 8-10psi with very little added throttle.

Also noticed that I can hold 5th or 6th down to 1400rpm and lightly add throttle (not enough to downshift) and build 6-7psi easily where before, anything under 1700rpm was almost useless. Doesn't have that smokey, laggy feel that it had before. Boost just comes up and gets moving.

I'm just really impressed with the wheel change in my application. I haven't check fuel mileage but i'm confident my mileage has improved. Loving the setup!!

I'll keep giving updates as I put more and more miles on the setup. :thumb:

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
Is it just a drop in wheel?

I thought it needed to be balanced after install. That's one of the main reasons I haven't ordered them for my new setup that's going in the truck.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You really should have it balanced but is not absolutely necessary. Each us neutral balanced but the assembly won't be perfect

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
The torque and response is awesome. When I'm at full weight daily driving I'm at 79-8100lbs depending on fuel and passengers. Tool box is packed so heavy it has broke both rail supports on the box itself. The aux tank holds 38gal in the bed and gooseneck hitch is no store bought lightweight piece.

With that being said, I stay on tune 3 (ran a 12.3) and before the wheel change you could barely get a scratch when you nailed it from a 2nd gear roll, more of a squat and go. Lots of weight over the tires.

Now with the batmo I'm getting a lot more wheel hop and spin. You nail it from a roll and it's trying to spin the tires but not quite enough to just light them up so you get wheel hop. Sucks, time for traction bars or a weight reduction!

Just impresses me that it has changed so much with the drop in wheel. Really happy with it.

Sorry if I sound like a tard, just giving feedback from drive time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
traction bars for sure Russ. makes all the difference when your towing and need to get off the line quick for those uh........... exhibitions of power :D