Base Torque tuning

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Hi all, I have slowly started to create a tune for my LLY. I bought the starlight diesel book a while back as a intro to tuning, which has been helpful.

I want to create a tune and add about 60?HP to my truck.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around the torque tuning, specifically the relation of Base Toque and TLIQ.

Could someone point me in the right direction on this?

I’ve been using your calculator 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't know if anyone outside of the original programmers truly knows how all those tables interact. But based on how the truck runs and seeing what changes make it do we have an idea of how to use them.

From what I understand, throttle base is for how much fuel at what level of the accelerator

Base torque is the maximum torque to achieve with that level of throttle or fuel amount

Torque limit injection quantity is the desired torque when the transmission is undergoing a shift and asks for a reduction in power

When studying the three tables and following them from one to the other in a stock tune, you will notice that the fuel amount for each table is the same. Or, in other words, they are balanced. When one goes in and modifies the throttle table to get more power or better response then it throws off this balance and when the transmission needs to shift it is not getting the power it is told it will get or the the transmission wants. This is what causes the bad shifts

Same for the base torque.

So, I made a calculator that expanded the values between the cells as the ECM can interpolate the value through it's own calculations but we don't want to do that by hand for each and every cell. The spreadsheet does this and finds the value that lines up with each cell in all three tables. It then gives you the corrected value so it's all back in balance.

Don't forget that there is also a torque table in the TCM that should be aligned with the torque values in the ECM. Otherwise how does the TCM know what value it needs to send that would be what the ECM is supposed to produce? The two need to match to be in sync.

When GM switched to another ECM provider with the LBZ they ditched this method as it's not really the best strategy to get to where you need for the transmission to be happy. Instead of using the throttle to dictate the fuel, they skip right over the fuel amount and right to the torque. No now the throttle commands the torque value and there is no need for the other tables

Reactions: buick455