Balancing Beads

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just got my new tires, 265/75R-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I decided to try the beads. I have noticed a vibration that comes and goes, and a shake at speeds above 80 mph. I'm just wondering who's used them, and how did you like them. Thanks.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I went and tried them on a different road than I usually drive on. I think it was the road, there is still a slight vibration, but definately alot better than before.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I tried beads in my 35x12.5 Cooper MT's and the tire shop couldn't even get them to balance.

Simon had them in his 35" BFG MT's and they seemed to work ok.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Had them for years
once they get there geussing games as far as quantity there good
also ,ake sure they change the valve stems or u get beads stuck in the stem:rolleyes:

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I dropped the air pressure to about 48 psi from 55. I have the E load tires and they were very stiff, so dropping pressure also made a big difference.

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
From what I understand, it is better to have a little more than you need vs not enough.

I've also been told that most dynamic balancers at tire stores can't check the balance on wheels with the beads. Something about how the balancer works.

The beads only fix radial imbalance. If your tires are out of balance laterally or if your tires are not round, the beads don't work and may even make things worse.

For best results, some people will dynamically balance their tires as close as possible on the tire balancer and THEN they pour in the beads.

I know a couple of people who use them and they are very happy. I'd like to try them but just haven't had the chance to use them.

One problem that some people have reported is, in very cold weather where the moisture inside the tire will cause the bead to freeze in one spot when the vehicle sits overnight, causing severe out of balance condition until the tires warm up and the bead can flow freely again inside the tire.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I just got my new tires, 265/75R-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I decided to try the beads. I have noticed a vibration that comes and goes, and a shake at speeds above 80 mph. I'm just wondering who's used them, and how did you like them. Thanks.

I just put on a new set of Cepek MT's 35/12.5R18 and went with the beads and had the tires filled with nitrogen so there shouldn't be any moisture to freeze the beads.

I now have the exact same problem as you did Dan. What did you ever end up doing about it? Should I take it back to Fountain and tell them to get it right or just live with it?

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
My experience with equal is that it's better than not balancing tires but balancing with weights is way better.

I haven't ever tried weights and equal but it might work well. Personally I just rebalance every rotate.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
I had a set of those balancing things, I forget what brand name they were, on my last ford van. They were the plate thingy that you put on before the wheel went on. Geez, cant remember the name...getting old:mad:

I liked them. NEVER had the tires balanced after that.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just put on a new set of Cepek MT's 35/12.5R18 and went with the beads and had the tires filled with nitrogen so there shouldn't be any moisture to freeze the beads.

I now have the exact same problem as you did Dan. What did you ever end up doing about it? Should I take it back to Fountain and tell them to get it right or just live with it?

I ended up taking the beads out and going with pound on weights. They were alot better after that. But it does turn out that one of my Nittos were a little "off". I also ran without any kind of balancing at all for a bit, and even that was better than the beads, even with the bad tire. Now with my new wheels and tires I am running stick on weights and they are good too. I don't plan on ever trying beads again.

And I also picked where each wheel and tire combo was mounted. I put the one that took the most weight on the rear pass side and the one that took the least on the front drivers side.

Edit: You could also try swapping your tires front to back and see if that helps. Maybe you have a slightly "off" tire on the front.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Considering these are Dick C tires, I'm pretty sure I have more than just one tire off!
I think I will just live with them for now as the winters will be going on shortly anyhow. And I probably wont get more than 40 000km out of them anyhow.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I ran them on my old Ford with 41x15x18" scampers and they balanced out perfect, but on my last set of 35s they wouldn't balance. The best solution is probably the stick on weights and a couple ounces of beads.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I use beads after having the tires balanced at a shop for a street vehicle. Mostly because I always knock the weights off the rims. For ranch trucks and off road rigs I've had great luck with just beads, but they don't go over 30 hardly.

9mmkungfu

Aug 29, 2011
Northern Virginia
I've got beads in my 37s. They're an aggressive mud tire and I was told they would work better than having regular weights.

I definitely had a vibration initially, but rotating the tires helped a lot. I don't want to vacuum the beads out and try regular weights since they were $90 :S

I'll try regular weights on my next set of tires.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I used high density plasyic pelets (aluminum rims) with my 38" boggers...only way i could make my truck driveable. Of course with that big a tire on a 15" rim the stick on or hammer on weights are just too far from the imbalance to be able to correct it.

I also use them in my 285's on my duramax, i have noticed that if the tires squat much it causes them to shake as if they were out of ballance. I believe that its cause that causes the beads to bounce around instead of finding their happy spot and staying there. But ive had good luck with this method on several sets of tires.